SFGate: AP Interview:CEO says United to exit bankruptcy in '04 regardless

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/06/11/f=
inancial1611EDT0121.DTL
Friday, June 11, 2004 (AP)
AP Interview:CEO says United to exit bankruptcy in '04 regardless
DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer

   (06-11) 14:53 PDT CHICAGO (AP) --
   United Airlines expects to emerge from bankruptcy by year's end even if
its pending application for a $1.6 billion federal loan guarantee is
rejected, CEO Glenn Tilton said Friday.
   Cash-crunched United believes it qualifies for and urgently needs the
government backing, which the Air Transportation Stabilization Board is
expected to rule on soon. But Tilton said the carrier's 18-month
restructuring has left it on solid enough footing to finish the
reorganization regardless of the verdict.
   United is targeting fall for its exit from Chapter 11, though that timing
could be in jeopardy if the company doesn't receive the long-sought loan
guarantee.
   "I think that the balance of the year would provide us ... with sufficie=
nt
time to complete the restructuring -- with or without" the loan guarantee,
Tilton told The Associated Press in an interview at United's headquarters
in suburban Elk Grove Village.
   Tilton declined to discuss any contingency plans if the government backi=
ng
falls through, but he said the airline's bankruptcy lenders have strongly
endorsed its restructuring steps and the overhaul has left it "resilient"
despite continuing losses.
   United's restructuring moves have included $2.5 billion in annual labor
cost reductions, including trimming employee wages and benefits, and
extensive aircraft refinancing.
   The airline recorded a modest operating profit in May and would be en
route to an operating gain for the entire second quarter if not for recent
jet fuel increases that have added $750 million to its estimated fuel tab
for 2004, Tilton said.
   "Whatever our fate, the business plan manifested in the application is a
resilient business plan," he said. "When we take that business plan
forward to whatever the group of constituents will ultimately be that ...
take this company out of its restructuring, I think that we have done the
work."
   Tilton's comments come as some analysts voice skepticism that the
government will approve United's application for a loan guarantee, citing
the recent losses of large carriers, high fuel costs, pricing pressures
from discount carriers and US Airways' continuing struggles despite the
government's help.
   But few think a denial, while painful to United, would drive the airline
out of business.
   UBS Securities analyst Sam Buttrick said in a note to investors Thursday
that an ATSB rejection would simply move United to Plan B, "which would
likely entail some combination of a longer stay in the protective custody
of bankruptcy and redoubled cost-reduction efforts to achieve a cost
structure that would attract market capital and perhaps some modest level
of network downsizing."
   Further cuts could put employees' pension plans at risk, especially in
light of some huge looming payment obligations to those funds. Tilton
declined to say whether he would consider such a drastic action if the
loan guarantee is turned down.
   "The only answer I could give you is that the current business plan is, =
in
my view and the view of our banks, our financial advisers and the rating
agency that we took the plan to, financeable. I'm focused on that business
plan and I'm not focused on anything else."
   Tilton hailed United's unions for agreeing to revised cutbacks to
retirees' medical and life insurance benefits.
   "It's an example of all of the constituent groups coming to recognize the
need," he said. "This is a balance between something that is unfortunate,
unpleasant, but necessary."
   He also said that while its four-month-old discount carrier Ted has prov=
en
successful so far, with planes 87 percent to 89 percent full, United will
be "disciplined" about expanding it and will focus first on improvements.

Copyright 2004 AP