Re: Regan Legacy on Air Industry

David:

Here in Boston, our police department is gearing up to
do just that.  They are planning to picket (not strike
actually) during the Democratic National Convention
when it will be here at the end of July.

Government workers (I'm biased, because I am one now)
are people, too.  They have the same responsibilities
as those in the private sector.)  I would agree that
the type of services that provide are one-of-a-kind,
but nonetheless, government can always hold that over
their heads and they'd never get a raise.  The power
of a union is therefore, its option to encourage its
membership to strike if certain demands aren't met.
Of course, money is the most popular, but other issues
could be at stake, too. (Remember the UPS strike? It
almost sent the country into a panic!)

> Not better or worse but just better.  As far as I
> know, there hasn't been a
> federal government union go on strike since then.

'Better?' I'm not sure.  This industry is so heavily
regulated, yet when a crash occurs, finger pointing
happens such as TWA 800 and the B-737 affair and the
commuter a/c at Charlotte, although it looks like
man-made error (over-loading)

Businesses often cut corners when under the gun by
competition.  And I believe that sometimes, those
corners involve safety.   Happens in all industries,
sadly.

I also recall that it was discussed as an option that
private air traffic controllers to handle the nation's
air traffic in the longer term.  It sounded like
Reagan thinking; outsource.  Keep government small.
Interestingly, the exact opposite happened after 9/11
and the federalization of security screeners.

Mike Burris
Cambridge, Mass