From: john_h_flinders [mailto:john_h_flinders@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 8:50 AM
To: orders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [orders] Re: [news] Air NZ power plants: GE or Rolls-Royce

--- In orders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jim Klug" <j_2h@xxxx> wrote:
> 01.06.2004
> By RICHARD PAMATATAU and CHRIS DANIELS
>
> Pratt and Whitney was also a contender to supply new engines but
has since packed up and gone home.

> Rolls-Royce and GE have both had teams at Air NZ working on the

As I see it, the Air NZ powerplant decision illustrates the bind that
Pratt & Whitney now finds itself in in the widebody market.  With the
7E7/777 combination fleet likely to become more common as time
progresses, and Pratt unable to offer a powerplant for the 7E7, I
don't think it can be regarded as a serious contender for new 777
business any more.

Worse for Pratt and Whitney is the fact that it will lose some/many
existing customers to GE or Rolls to power future 777 orders.  In
fact, this has already been happening in the Japanese market, in
which JAL has moved over to GE90's (as a consequence of the GE90-115B
on the 777-300ER).  In the same way, it is only a matter of time
before GE pushes Pratt out of ANA as well.  In fact, I doubt Pratt
will power a single more 777 in the Japanese market - which it once
had to itself.

Unless something dramatic happens, and I can't imagine what that
might be, Pratt will become increasingly irrelevant as the next
generation of widebody aircraft phases in.

John.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM