SFGate: Air Canada reaches deal with union on costs

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/05/21/f=
inancial0914EDT0046.DTL
Friday, May 21, 2004 (AP)
Air Canada reaches deal with union on costs

   (05-21) 06:14 PDT TORONTO (AP) --
   Air Canada has reached a crucial cost-cutting agreement with the Canadian
Auto Workers that removes one of the last remaining barriers to its
131/2-month-long restructuring.
   "We can now clearly see the finishing line," Air Canada chief executive
Robert Milton said at a news conference late Thursday after a day of
top-level negotiations with the union.
   The tentative accord with the CAW -- the last of seven Air Canada unions
to hold out against new concessions -- frees Canada's biggest airline to
attend a bankruptcy court hearing Friday morning at which it will apply to
have its protection extended under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement
Act.
   The labor deals must still be ratified by union members, but appear to
satisfy conditions under financing agreements with Deutsche Bank of
Germany and GE Capital Aviation Services of the United States.
   The company hopes to emerge from court protection in September, with
Milton saying he was "very confident" an acceptable package can be
presented to creditors.
   He acknowledged the restructuring will prove "bittersweet" for employees,
who accepted 1.1 billion Canadian dollars ($802 million) in concessions
over the past year as part of an overall 2 billion Canadian dollar ($1.46
billion) cost-cutting plan.
   "This is about dramatic change for our employees," Milton said.
   But he said the deals with all of the unions will move Air Canada from "a
broken model to a new place where we can compete with the low-cost and the
most profitable carriers in the world."
   Milton and CAW president Buzz Hargrove did not disclose details of the
pact, and it was unclear how they bridged a wide gap between the cuts
sought by the company and what the union said it would accept.
   The Toronto Star quoted an unidentified source as saying the union had
agreed to a wage rollback of 2.5 per cent over the next two years.
   As well, the airline will spend about 50 million Canadian dollars ($36.4
million) over three years on voluntary buyout packages, the source told
the Star. Union members, who will give up paid lunches as part of the
deal, and family members would also receive airline passes for free travel
until 2009.
   The CAW had said it would agree to cuts that would cover an 18.3 million
Canadian dollar ($13.3 million) shortfall in the 165 million Canadian
dollars ($120.3 million) in labor cost cuts it agreed to in April 2003,
but balked at company demands for 45 million Canadian dollars ($32.8
million) in new cuts.
   Hargrove indicated the agreement fell somewhere between those two number=
s,
but Milton said the company "definitely hit the target." He said the deal
includes work-rule changes as well as pay reductions.
   "There's a compromise here that I think our members will be absolutely
elated with," said Hargrove, while indicating there had been a softening
in the position of the CAW, representing 6,400 ticket-counter and call
center agents, crew schedulers and maintenance staff -- roughly 20 percent
of Air Canada's work force.
   "We all knew that we couldn't come out of this with the same position we
had been holding in the last several days," the union chief said.
   Justice Warren Winkler of Ontario Superior Court, who had summoned
Hargrove and Milton to Thursday's meeting, said the chemistry was good and
both sides worked hard.
   "Hopefully a lot of people in Canada are going to be very relieved,"
Winkler said. "I think this company has a great future."

Copyright 2004 AP