Fw: APSA members -

TSA - terminally stupid assholes - strikes again. Can anyone say =
"nazis?"
----- Original Message -----=20
From: APSA System=20
To: System=20
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 16:16
Subject: APSA members -

APSA members -

=20

Thank you for your attention to our request.  If you haven't yet =
responded to our earlier request, we've now confirmed the memo's =
authenticity and you can disregard our earlier email.  Again, thanks.

=20

A further explanation is necessary since our earlier email was so short. =
 We were in the process of answering myriad media questions on a news =
article printed in the Washington Times this morning and needed to =
appropriately research the subject in only a couple of hours.

=20

This morning, the Washington Times reported UAL flight 200 from Los =
Angeles to Dulles was designated a "flight of interest" by the =
Transportation Security Administration.  This, according to an industry =
memo the Times had obtained, and also confirmed by interviewing a =
crewmember who was subjected to extraordinary security inspection with =
his fellow crewmembers on this flight.  The paper called APSA for =
comment on the story.

=20

The Times reported, and APSA has now confirmed, that crewmembers =
arriving for the flight are, at last report, daily being met by a team =
of TSA employees and ordered to empty their pockets of all contents, =
submit all of their luggage and personal belongings for thorough =
inspection of each individual item one by one by a screener, wanded down =
and/or frisked, followed throughout their preflight inspection by a TSA =
screener (not permitted on the ramp without an escort) and have their =
bags sniffed by bomb dogs.  The crewmember reported he and his fellow =
pilot were then observed in their cockpit by a TSA official from the =
airport window, and told the flight had been "sanitized" as they readied =
the aircraft for flight.  These crew security inspections are being =
carried out in front of the passengers at the jetbridge, prior to =
boarding.

=20

According to the crewmember, some passengers were randomly secondarily =
screened, but ALL flight crew were screened onerously prior to the =
flight.  A pilot who asserted his identity was easily confirmed from his =
ID picture and the flight's paperwork was ordered to submit for search =
anyway.

=20

APSA has another, unconfirmed report, of a SFO flight crew ordered out =
of their cockpit by the TSA during a flight sequence for similar =
inspection last month.

=20

TSA has provided no reason for the searches to the pilots, airlines, =
unions or even the FAM's, according to the Times, so there is no =
recourse for an affected crewmember to gather information with which to =
ascertain the flight's safety or any justification for being searched.

=20

We put out the request for the memo for two reasons.  First, it was =
important we independently confirm the memo was, in fact legitimate and =
accurately quoted in the Washington Times article (it was); and second, =
the Department of Homeland Security allegedly called the Washington =
Times asserting the Times' story was false and warranted a retraction.  =
DHS said the flight was not a "flight of interest" and "a disgruntled =
union employee" must have written the memo.  In fact, the memo was =
apparently authored by United Airlines to its crews and quoted also by =
ALPA.

=20

The memo was apparently designated for UAL crews.  We will not share any =
copies of the memo used to confirm its authenticity and any copies of =
the memo APSA has were destroyed immediately after confirming the memo's =
contents and authenticity.  UAL and ALPA have now confirmed the =
document's existence.

=20

For APSA to comment on a story, we need to know the story is accurate.  =
This one is, and we needed to understand the issue in order to comment.  =
Of course, the Times will not be retracting the story.

=20

The TSA maintains there is no "specific" threat against UAL 200.  The =
article did not assert a specific threat.  However, TSA spokesman Mark =
Hatfield said TSA does not comment on specific threats but does increase =
security if a threat has been identified.  You can do the deductive =
logic.  TSA has not addressed whether there is a "nonspecific" threat or =
intelligence suggesting terrorists targeting a certain class of flights =
or using a certain methodology.

=20

If these searches are being conducted in response to intelligence, APSA =
believes the Pilot In Command is legally required to be given, as 91.103 =
says, "all available information concerning the flight" in order to =
legally accept the assignment.  It is impossible to responsibly assess =
the flight's safety in an information vacuum, particularly when the =
evidence would lead any reasonable person to conclude the flight was a =
terror concern, and may open the pilot and his airline to vast liability =
if full disclosure is not given to him or her.  We also believe all =
flight crews have a clear need to know what information TSA has.

=20

If these searches are part of a new TSA policy targeting random flight =
crew, we would like to know why the policy and the justification for it =
was not announced in advance and appropriately commented on, prior to =
its implementation; and what other flights, if any, this is being =
implemented on.  As there is already an undefeatable procedure for =
verifying the identities of legitimate crewmembers prior to flight, why =
is it necessary to single them out to search them?

=20

It is obvious a weapon is superfluous to a pilot gaining control of an =
aircraft, since he is given control of the aircraft as part of his job.  =
Without any justification, this does nothing more than demean our =
profession, frighten our passengers and use critical resources for =
meaningless purposes.=20

=20

The Washington Times has asked that any crewmember so screened on this =
flight contact them through APSA.  United Airlines has told the Times no =
crewmembers have complained about the procedure.  The Times would like =
to learn if crews have no problem with going through extraordinary =
searches for a follow-up it might do.

=20

=20

*****