NYTimes.com Article: Fogbound Over Nebraska, Without a WC

The article below from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

THE CLEARING - IN THEATERS JULY 2 - WATCH THE TRAILER NOW

An official selection of the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, THE CLEARING
stars ROBERT REDFORD and HELEN MIRREN as Wayne and Eileen Hayes - a
husband and wife living the American Dream. Together they've raised two
children and struggled to build a successful business from the ground
up. But there have been sacrifices along the way. When Wayne is
kidnapped by an ordinary man, Arnold Mack (WILLEM DAFOE), and held for
ransom in a remote forest, the couple's world is turned inside out.
Watch the trailer at: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/theclearing/index_nyt.html

Fogbound Over Nebraska, Without a WC

May 4, 2004
 As told to PATRICIA R. OLSEN

When I worked for the Chamber of Commerce in Beatrice,
Neb., we enlisted a local millionaire to pick up two
business owners in another part of the state and fly them
to town in his private jet. They were thinking of
relocating their companies to Beatrice, and naturally we
wanted to make a good impression, especially as their wives
were coming along.

Midway through the flight, fog set in. The small Beatrice
airport did not have instrument-landing service, and so the
pilot was forced to circle it until the fog lifted. The
water diet was in vogue at the time and the businessmen's
wives desperately needed to go to the toilet.
Unfortunately, the millionaire was so tightfisted he had
refused to install one on the plane. So the husbands held
up blankets while their wives relieved themselves in coffee
cups.

When we landed, the husbands were the first out the door,
holding numerous cups. Several community leaders were
assembled to greet them. The mayor looked at the Styrofoam
cups and asked why the men had brought apple cider with
them. It served as a great icebreaker for what could have
been a tense situation.

Another time, when I worked for the San Angelo, Tex.,
Chamber of Commerce, I was traveling in a small private
plane with a judge, some state legislators and a couple of
businessmen to a meeting in Austin when the door popped
open. We all jumped up and tried to grab it and hold it
closed. Paper was flying all over - it was exactly like in
the movies.

The pilot had reached for the door, too, and all of a
sudden the plane started losing altitude. The person
sitting in the co-pilot seat grabbed the stick between the
seats to try to stop our descent but he didn't know what to
do. Eventually the pilot regained control of the plane and
landed at the closest airport. Once the door was latched
properly, we took off again.

I now live in Topeka, an hour by car from Kansas City
International Airport. In January, as I was driving on the
turnpike to catch an early-morning flight to Dallas-Fort
Worth, I suddenly realized with a sinking feeling that I
had left my wallet at home. Of course, it contained my
photo ID, my credit cards and my money. I quickly
calculated that if I drove the 45 minutes back home, I
would miss my flight and be late for all my meetings. I
called my wife and asked if she would meet me halfway with
my wallet. It was 5:30 a.m.

We starting driving toward each other and called each other
on our cellphones. We met at a Hardee's just off the
turnpike. She was wearing her robe and slippers and had a
few curlers in her hair, but she looked beautiful to me,
and not just because she was carrying my wallet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/04/business/04flier.html?ex=1084677764&ei=1&en=b3e0c4382d9c3f69