NYTimes.com Article: Grilled Flight Attendant, Anyone?

The article below from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

THE CLEARING - IN THEATERS JULY 2 - WATCH THE TRAILER NOW

An official selection of the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, THE CLEARING
stars ROBERT REDFORD and HELEN MIRREN as Wayne and Eileen Hayes - a
husband and wife living the American Dream. Together they've raised two
children and struggled to build a successful business from the ground
up. But there have been sacrifices along the way. When Wayne is
kidnapped by an ordinary man, Arnold Mack (WILLEM DAFOE), and held for
ransom in a remote forest, the couple's world is turned inside out.
Watch the trailer at: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/theclearing/index_nyt.html

Grilled Flight Attendant, Anyone?

April 27, 2004
 By JOE SHARKEY

Last week's column, focusing on a memo from an American
Airlines executive scolding flight attendants for poor
service and bad attitudes, brought an outpouring of
reaction from flight attendants and passengers. Here is a
sampling.

On a recent American flight from Phoenix to New York,
"actually there was very little contact with the flight
attendants, the main reason being there is very little
service on AA flights," Adela Oppenheim wrote. The meal
service consisted of a bag of pretzels, she wrote, adding:
"Perhaps passenger discontent with the flight attendants
has to do with poor amenities rather than the flight
attendants themselves. And of course the measly meal
service is chosen by the same corporate bigwigs who now
feel free to attack the flight crews."

Catherine A. Simmons, a flight attendant for 34 years who
works the once glamorous international flights for
American, described the grind it has become.

"We gave up 33 1/3 percent of our vacation days, 27 percent
of our salary, and all of our onboard meals, even on
long-haul Asian flights, and much of our rest," she wrote.
While flight attendants agreed to givebacks, American had
to battle to stave off bankruptcy by cutting back on food
and onboard service.

"My fellow professionals and I spend a good deal of our
time in flight apologizing," Ms. Simmons wrote, sounding
weary even in an e-mail message.

"I'm certain that I say, 'I'm really sorry, sir, but ' more
frequently in one leg to Tokyo than most people say in a
lifetime."

The ruckus involving 19,500 active American flight
attendants began after 5,000 of them based in the Northeast
got a memo from John M. Tiliacos, a regional managing
director for the airline. The memo, which a large number of
recipients considered insulting, quickly found its way onto
InternalMemos.com, a Web site that publishes internal
corporate memos that are sent to it by employees. The
recommendations in the American memo included having flight
attendants regard each encounter with a passenger as a
"client meeting."

American defended the memo after the flight attendants
reacted to it. The company said it wished to be "open" with
its employees and that the memo was just feedback. Mr.
Tiliacos said he based his memo on conversations with
corporate travel managers who said they were considering
switching airlines because of the attitudes of American's
flight attendants.

Suffice it to say the flight attendants aren't mollified.

Jimmy McGovern, a flight attendant for 20 years on another
major airline, had an interesting reaction: "Remember that
heroic American Airline flight attendant who nearly had her
thumb bitten off by her shoe-bombing client, Richard Reid?
Did she get the nasty memo, too?"

But customers who sympathize with the flight attendants
also made some points. "Until recently I traveled
extensively on business using United, American and Delta,"
Vana Lyttle said. "Sadly, American indeed is the worst of
the lot. My heart always went out to fight attendants who
were so clearly unhappy. They had given their fair share,
maybe even more."

"But I was tired, too," she added. "I was giving up my
weekends and evenings to travel for my employers," who kept
a "tight leash" on travel expenses. "And on top of it all,
I had to spend hours and days on American Airlines being
treated like a nuisance."

Similar sentiments came from Clyde Miller, a corporate
security director who is a frequent flier on both American
and Continental. Continental's flight attendants were
"helpful, friendly and kept a positive attitude" during the
airline industry's travails over the last few years, he
said. But of American he said: "As a general rule, their
flight attendants are arrogant, unfriendly and appear to be
bothered when asked to provide a basic level of service."

James W. Montanari said: "For over 30 years I have been a
loyal AA customer. However, over the past several years I
have noticed that the more senior AA flight attendants,
rather than demonstrating maturity and experience, are
seemingly bored with their jobs, surly with passengers and
studiously unresponsive. While those problems are not
limited to AA, at AA they are epidemic."

Like most experienced business travelers, I am enormously
sympathetic to flight attendants, and I think most of them
do a first-rate job under what many of us would regard as
intolerable conditions. But the passenger sentiments above
are an accurate representation of most of the responses
from fliers to last week's column. Mr. Tiliacos's memo,
clumsy as it might have been in execution, made a valid
point, many readers suggested.

Of course, these complaints about declining service come in
an environment where air travel is increasingly a
commodity, and the only thing that matters to huge numbers
of passengers (and some corporate travel departments) is
how to find the absolutely cheapest ticket anywhere,
anytime. With major airlines losing billions and fare wars
intensifying with the low-service, low-cost carriers, the
present environment in domestic air travel is obviously not
conducive to a flourishing of passenger service.

A reply from Jodi Hess, an American flight attendant for 12
years, said that "flight attendants at AA have a new
slogan: If you can't afford the bus, fly us!" She added:

"They don't complain about JetBlue and Southwest and other
Wal-Marts of the sky because there they expect no frills.
On the larger carriers, passengers are still under the
impression that they will get playing cards, magazines,
peanuts, meals, and pretty stewardesses at their beck and
call. Ain't gonna happen."

On the Road appears each Tuesday. E-mail:
Jsharkey@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/27/business/27road.html?ex=1084073754&ei=1&en=4f7734a2367a49a6