Re: SFGate: Airlines limit cheap seats to Europe

....With the value of the Euro against USD$ travel to
Europe this summer is gonna be pretty soft. Airlines
are gonna find selling seats a pretty tough sell to
Europe. Two years ago when the Euro was about .82 to
the American dollar prices were reasonable, but now,
what is it, abut $1.27 or so! I really like traveling
in Europe, but the value of the $$ precludes any plans
for this destination, no matter how cheap the airfare
might be!

If we go somewhere this summer, it won't be Europe---

Bryant Petitt
Cumming, GA

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/04/14/f=
> [...]
> dates.
>    At the same time that seat additions overall will
> be modest, demand is
> likely to be very strong. The weak dollar is making
> the U.S. a bargain for
> European travelers. So both U.S. and European
> carriers expect heavy demand
> for tickets from Europeans headed to the U.S. And
> though the dollar makes
> Europe in turn more expensive for Americans, pent-up
> demand is expected to
> outweigh the added cost. After three relatively slow
> summers, "the market
> is due an upswing," says Mr. Jenks.
>    If you just have to go to Europe, start with
> London, which is generally
> cheaper to get to than Continental Europe. (It
> should be, it's closer to
> the U.S.) From there, high-speed trains and discount
> European carriers
> like Ryanair and easyJet offer good, cheap service
> to many destinations.
>    For bargain hunters, this may be a year to
> explore North America. Domest=
> ic
> airfares still should be relatively cheap because of
> the growing reach of
> discount airlines. American, for example, says
> low-fare carriers now
> compete on more than 80 percent of its domestic
> route network. And
> incumbent carriers like American also have been
> adding seats to markets,
> trying to beat back new insurgents.
>    In the third quarter this year, which covers much
> of the peak summer
> season, airline capacity between New York and San
> Diego will be 94 percent
> higher than the year-earlier period, according to
> J.P. Morgan. Boston-Los
> Angeles will be 91 percent higher. Travel deals
> should be plentiful.
>    Analysts expect Southwest to bring back a broad
> summer sale at least once
> before Memorial Day. The low-fare carrier had a
> large sale in place for
> several weeks, offering round-trip tickets anywhere
> it flies for no more
> than $198 through Sept. 19, but that expired last
> week. Southwest said its
> recent sales pushed its March load factor, the
> percentage of seats filled,
> to 73.6 percent -- a record for Southwest -- and
> triggered strong bookings
> through May.
>    Most airlines matched Southwest's prices on
> competing routes for summer
> travel, but one carrier has held out hope for more
> expensive pricing
> domestically. Continental matched Southwest's deeply
> discounted prices
> only through June 11, betting it won't have to sell
> seats so cheaply this
> summer.
>    With Southwest, Frontier Airlines, AirTran
> Airways and America West
> Airlines all competing or lining up to compete in
> Philadelphia this summer
> -- and US Airways Group Inc. aggressively matching
=== message truncated ===