SFGate: Grounded Concorde takes a barge north to Scottish museum

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/04/13/i=
nternational1541EDT0719.DTL
Tuesday, April 13, 2004 (AP)
Grounded Concorde takes a barge north to Scottish museum

   (04-13) 12:41 PDT LONDON (AP) --
   Crowds gathered along the River Thames to watch a supersonic Concorde
aircraft begin a very subsonic barge trip Tuesday to its final destination
at a Scottish museum.
   As Big Ben chimed, the barge paused at the House of Commons for a
photo-call -- minus wings and tail, which had been removed for the journey
north. But the familiar needle-nose was in place.
   Sarah Wallace, 31, of Notting Hill, west London, watched from the south
bank of the river with her son Bradley, 6.
   "I was never lucky enough to go on Concorde, but my parents went for my
mum's birthday about five years ago. I think it should still be flying,"
she said.
   Bradley took the practical view.
   "What I liked about it was it got everyone to America really quickly," he
said.
   The British Airways jet, which flew from 1975 to 2000, is the last of the
airline's seven Concordes to find a home following the decision last year
to end commercial services.
   The trip to the Museum of Flight near Edinburgh began April 4, with a ro=
ad
trip from Heathrow Airport to the Thames, where the aircraft was placed on
a very large barge.
   The aircraft will be taken up the east coast of England to Scotland. The
final stage of its journey will be the most difficult -- two miles short
of the museum, it faces no direct road and several fields and streams.
   Three Concordes were sent overseas to Grantley Adams Airport in Barbados,
the Museum of Flight in Seattle and the Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum in
New York.
   Three more are in Britain on display at London's Heathrow Airport,
Manchester Airport in northwest England and Filton in central England,
where the aircraft were made.

Copyright 2004 AP