Re: Air Canada -- Now what?

This would be all academic if Milton didn't get his back up to the
original ONEX proposal back in August 1999.

His life-long ambition (according to Air Monopoly) was to run a major
airline, and four days after taking the helm of AIr Canada, Schwartz
makes a run at his business. Within moments, everyone knew that it
wasn't a merger, and Schwartz friendly executives would be running Air
Canada if his bid was to be accepted, and Milton would be back on the
street.

So, of course they said no.

An article in the Vancouver Sun (that bastion of financial reporting
;-) ) noted that in Air Canada's $1.9B 2003 loss, that $685M was an
*operating* loss. This is on passenger revenue of $6.8B (down from
$8.2B.) For a company that supposedly has been in hard-core
cost-cutting mode for well over a year, having ticket revenues down
nearly 20% PLUS losing a dollar on every 10 of revenue, this is truly
abysmal.

Many (not all) of the unions have indicated that they are not making up
any more concessions, and were quoted as telling VIctor Li to "go take
his money and go back to Hong Kong."

Would you invest any money? And if you were going to invest any money,
would you invest more or less than you would of a year ago.

Rovinescu, who was to receive a $10M 'thank-you' from Li, abruptly
resigned, confirming Trinity is out of the picture for good and any new
offer would be significantly less enticing.

Someone is going to have to write a second edition of Air Monopoly. ;-)

Matthew