Air Canada pension "deal" thwarted by union feud

Air Canada pension "deal" thwarted by union feud  =

 =

 =

  =

Wednesday March 31, 6:38 PM EST =

(Adds Jallet comments paragraphs 9-11)

By Charles Grandmont

MONTREAL, March 31 (Reuters) - Air Canada (AC) said on Wednesday it had r=
eached a key pension agreement with its largest union, but the Canadian h=
ead of the machinists union dismissed the airline's claim, saying there w=
as no deal.

"Our members' pensions are not negotiable," said Dave Ritchie, Canadian g=
eneral vice-president of the International Association of Machinists and =
Aerospace Workers.

Earlier in the day, Air Canada said it had reached a tentative agreement =
on pensions with Jean Jallet, the head of a local section of the union, w=
hich represents Air Canada's 11,500 maintenance and ground crew.

Air Canada chief executive Robert Milton praised the union for the "decis=
ive attempt to break the logjam currently threatening our successful rest=
ructuring executive."

  =

But Ritchie said Jallet had no authority to bargain on pensions issues, w=
hich are dealt with at a national level.

"There is no deal and Air Canada knows it," Ritchie said, adding that uni=
on lawyers warned the company months ago that pension issues could not be=
 negotiated at the local level.

Air Canada said it still considered the tentative agreement to be valid a=
nd expects the union to complete a ratification vote by April 12.

"We have always reached agreements with Mr. Jallet and not the national o=
ffice," Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said.

Jallet said union bylaws give him clear authority to negotiate the agreem=
ent on pensions.

"I don't understand what's going on. Quite frankly, there are political g=
ames going on," Jallet said.

"Maybe it's because I said I would run against him in the next elections,=
" he said.

The machinists union was the first to agree to the pension overhaul deman=
ded by Air Canada's new equity investor, Hong Kong businessman Victor Li.=

Eight other unions, representing around two-thirds of the airline's workf=
orce, still reject Li's revamped pension plan, even though Li has warned =
he would abandon his C$650 million ($500 million) investment if pensions =
are not changed.

"There is no discussion on the subject," a spokesman for the powerful Air=
 Canada Pilots Association said on Wednesday.

"Right now, our position has not changed," said Pamela Sachs, head of the=
 flight attendants union.

The unions argue they have already agreed to C$1.1 billion in labor cost =
concessions in exchange for a guarantee that their pensions would remain =
intact.

Li stands to get 31 percent of the airline once the restructuring is over=
, but he wants to reduce its risks and costs by shifting the pension plan=
s to a defined contribution structure instead of a defined benefits struc=
ture.

Air Canada's C$8.5 billion pension plans have a deficit of C$1.2 billion.=
 The airline is trying to convince regulators to let it spread its reimbu=
rsement over a 10-year period, twice the length required by law.

On Monday, the world's 11th largest airline won an extension of its bankr=
uptcy protection until April 15 so it can try to break the impasse on the=
 pension issues.

Further delays in the restructuring are also threatening C$1.8 billion in=
 loans and aircraft financing deals the carrier has with General Electric=
 Capital Corp. (GE).

Air Canada stock gained 22 Canadian cents, or 20 percent, to C$1.32 on th=
e Toronto Stock Exchange on Wednesday, even though the airline has said t=
he stock will be worthless once it emerges from court protection with a n=
ew equity structure.

($1=3D$1.31 Canadian) =

=A92004 Reuters Limited. =

Roger