Re: [Sky-1] U.S. Airports Not Ready For Airbus A380, Says Lufthansa

At 05:39 PM 3/9/2004, you wrote:
>Now throw how many airports that the A380 can divert to due to wx/mx?
>Can't wait to see a inbound to JFK and due to weather, diverts back to LHR.
>
>How will the Dispatchers plan that?
>
>Would an airport allow the plane to land that basically crushes your
>runway after it's emergency landing?
It isn't a runway load issue, in general. As other people have said it's
gates, and in a lot of places
taxi-ways. I expect most of the current diversion choices can get an A380
down onto a runway.
But... for a lot of airports, you'll have one heck of a time getting the
thing off to some quiet corner
of the airport, and parking it. The extra wingspan severely challenges
current practice for wingtip
clearance to other taxi-ways and runways, and also to fixed obstacles such
as light poles,
on taxi-ways and aprons. But, if taking in an A380 on diversion nearly
shuts down an airport like Logan or
Hartford, they aren't going to be very happy, having it happen.