Continental raises US airfares, blames fuel costs

Continental raises US airfares, blames fuel costs  =

 =

 =

  =

Friday February 27, 9:35 AM EST =

NEW YORK, Feb 27 (Reuters) - Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL), the fifth-l=
argest U.S. carrier, on Friday said it increased fares on tickets for fli=
ght in the 48 contiguous U.S. states, citing "persistently high" fuel pri=
ces.

The Houston-based company said it raised fares $5 on one-way tickets and =
$10 on round-trip tickets. It said the increases apply to restricted and =
unrestricted fares.

"Fuel prices, which we can't control, are the highest we have ever seen,"=
 said Chief Financial Officer Jeff Misner in a statement. "This fare incr=
ease is a step toward matching fares with the cost of providing air trave=
l."

It was not immediately clear whether other carriers would match the price=
 increase. =

=A92003 Reuters Limited. =

Roger
EWROPS