Re: SF Gate: High-speed railroad to L.A. crawls ahead/Schwarzenegger wants to put off ballot measure

An interesting story but filled with flaws.  Even an eighth grader can see
the math doesn't work.  If they could flash cut to 68 million riders in the
first year of service, it still would not be sufficient to pay for bond
servicing and operating costs.  And #37 Billion is just the beginning.

Thanks for sharing, Bill.

Regards to all,
JCK
----

>From: Bill Hough <psa188@xxxxxxxx>
>To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: SF Gate: High-speed railroad to L.A. crawls ahead/Schwarzenegger
>wants to put off ballot measure
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 06:33:00 -0800
>
>=20
>This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
>The original article can be found on SFGate.com here:
>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2004/02=
>/06/BAG0B4QK1I1.DTL
>Friday, February 6, 2004 (SF Chronicle)
>High-speed railroad to L.A. crawls ahead/Schwarzenegger wants to put off
>ba=
>llot measure
>Michael Cabanatuan, Chronicle Staff Writer
>

>    Imagine stepping out of a downtown San Francisco office building,
>strolling down the street to the Transbay Terminal and climbing aboard a
>sleek modern train. Settle into a high-backed seat, read a book, nap or
>gaze out the window as the train zips down the Peninsula, shoots through
>the Central Valley and surges into the Los Angeles Basin.
>    Two and a half hours later, walk off the train into bustling Los
>Angeles
>Union Station.
>    Sound like a dream? At this point, it is. But advocates of a 700-mile
>high-speed rail system say it's a vision within the Golden State's reach.
>And, they say, California needs to build the system to handle the state's
>growing population and travel needs.
>    A key environmental study released last week supports that conclusion,
>saying it would be far cheaper, less polluting and faster than building
>more highways and airports. But the idea of a California high-speed rail
>system has been discussed and debated for a decade. And with the state
>budget crisis and political controversy waiting down the tracks, the
>high-speed rail movement could slow to a stop.
>    Backers say it's time to get moving.
>    "It's not a question of if we will have high-speed rail," said Joseph
>Petrillo, a San Francisco attorney who is head of the California High
>Speed Rail Authority. "It's a question of when."
>    The authority, a state commission charged with planning a potential
>fast
>train system, proposes building a railroad that links the Bay Area and
>Sacramento to Los Angeles and San Diego via the San Joaquin Valley with
>trains traveling up to 220 mph. By 2020, the authority says, 68 million
>passengers a year would ride the high-speed trains. They would pay one-way
>fares between the Bay Area and Los Angeles of about $50.
>    "It's the kind of dream that Leland Stanford, Charles Crocker, Collis
>Huntington and Mark Hopkins had of building a (transcontinental) railroad
>across the Sierra," said Rod Diridon, a member of the California High
>Speed Rail Authority.
>    But standing in the way of the nation's first high-speed rail system
>are
> [...]

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.