SF Gate: Virgin USA keeps SFO in contention/Airport 1 of 3 finalists for headquarters

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2004/02=
/06/BUGMD4QA8U1.DTL
Friday, February 6, 2004 (SF Chronicle)
Virgin USA keeps SFO in contention/Airport 1 of 3 finalists for headquarters
David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer

   A company that brought pie in the sky -- literally -- to airline
passengers will fly executives to San Francisco International Airport next
week, looking for a sweet offer and dangling promises of new jobs to lift
the Bay Area economy.
   Virgin USA, an embryonic, low-cost carrier that hopes to get off the
ground by late this year, has narrowed to three its list of possible
headquarters sites. SFO is a finalist, along with Boston and Washington
Dulles airport.
   "We will be at SFO early next week, meeting with David Crane from Gov.
(Arnold) Schwarzenegger's office and (SFO director) John Martin and his
team, " said Todd Pawlowski, Virgin USA's director of customer service.
"We're looking for the airport and city that will be the best fit for us."
   SFO spokesman Michael McCarron said officials plan to take Virgin USA
executives on a tour "at the airport and off-airport," to show off
prospective facilities. He acknowledged that Virgin USA exists only on
paper at the moment, but expressed confidence in Richard Branson, the
carrier's founder, who is the majority owner of London's Virgin Atlantic
Airways.
   "If Branson can make it happen, he usually does," McCarron said.
   SFO handles more than 80 percent of Northern California's international
flights, including a daily flight between San Francisco and London
operated by Virgin Atlantic.
   But with soft transatlantic and transpacific travel during the past few
years and the rise of low-cost carriers with discounted fares, SFO has
recently been courting low-cost carriers. Landing Virgin USA would be a
coup for the airport, which, uncharacteristically, has several unused
gates.
   Pawlowski said the airline hopes to pick a headquarters site by the end =
of
the month. Virgin USA, he said, would start out with a staff of 400 to
500. "Within three years, our plan is to have somewhere north of 3,000
employees --
   pilots, cabin crew, maintenance workers, reservations agents -- with
somewhere north of 2,000 of those in the headquarters city."
   Schwarzenegger has lobbied Branson, asking him to base the new airline in
California. Los Angeles was considered, but did not make Branson's short
list.
   Virgin USA would be a low-cost carrier serving chiefly U.S. domestic
routes. It would be 25 percent owned by Branson, the flamboyant British
entrepreneur who founded Virgin Records and also owns Virgin Megastores
and Virgin Atlantic.
   Virgin Atlantic has brought Branson's show-biz flair to air travel. The
carrier offers fresh-baked lamb and rosemary pies from Square Pie, a
popular London food company, on London flights. It recently introduced a
patented airplane seat that turns over and morphs into a fully reclining
bed. It also opened stand-up bars on its aircraft and rolled out
sophisticated electronic entertainment.
   Pawlowski said he hopes Virgin USA, with an as yet unnamed U.S. partner,
will start flying late this year or early in 2005.
   "We are buying aircraft from Boeing and Airbus," he said. "We don't make
money by having $35 million airplanes sitting on the ground. We feel a
sense of urgency. We are eager to get in the game and start playing."
   In an earlier Chronicle report, Bay Area officials were said to have
pitched SFO's accessibility by BART from low-cost areas of Contra Costa
and San Mateo counties and touted the Bay Area's generally benign weather.
   E-mail David Armstrong at davidarmstrong@sfchronicle .com.=20
Copyright 2004 SF Chronicle