Re: Transborder Question

Matthew Montano wrote:

>It's a weird legal no-mans land past the pre-clearance areas.
>
>While you've been pre-cleared to enter the US, you are still very much
>in Canada (legally speaking.)

There's a sign at the entrance to the Dorval/Trudeau preclearance area
that was added sometime between February '03 and January '04 saying
something to the effect of "until you are being interviewed, you may
leave the preclearance area at any time."  I think it also might have
said something that you could only be detained before reaching the US
officer for violations of Canadian law (and there are always 2 City of
Montreal police officers on duty in the preclearance room.  I was always
piqued a little bit that I still had to pay GST/QST while in the
transborder finger.  I had "left" Canada, and I could have shopped
duty-free, yet the newsstand beyond Customs was still going to tack on
15.025% to my copy of The Economist.

>I think reasonable common sense has always prevailed, and this has
>never been tested.

I don't know if any case law has come up (although I'm sure it has), but
the most recent law regarding preclearance is 1999's Preclearance Act,
which clarifies a number of things laid out in the original 1974
agreement. http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/1999/20/2689.html

Matthew :)
EWR/YUL/DCA - what year is it again?