SF Gate: Can we talk? Getting the goods on frequent-flier deals

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2004/02=
/01/TRGG24JNKP1.DTL
Sunday, February 1, 2004 (SF Chronicle)
Can we talk? Getting the goods on frequent-flier deals
Michael Shapiro

   David Phillips, a Davis engineer, didn't really need the miles, but when
he heard -- in an online forum called FlyerTalk -- that he could earn a
million mileage points by flying 10 different Latin American airlines, he
jumped at the opportunity. He planned an itinerary over three days that
would take him to Guatemala City, San Salvador, Caracas, Quito and Lima,
among other stops. "I'd always dreamed of visiting Machu Picchu, but when
I got to Cuzco, I turned around and got right back on the same plane,"
Phillips said.
   Phillips, you may recall, is known as the Pudding Guy, because he parlay=
ed
the coupons from $2,000 worth of chocolate pudding cups into 1.2 million
frequent-flier miles. He's just one of thousands of frequent fliers who
are making the most of loyalty programs by sharing information online.
   FlyerTalk (www.flyertalk.com), the offspring of the definitive WebFlyer.
com, and FrequentFlier.com are the top destinations for frequent travelers
seeking to earn or cash in their miles. WebFlyer provides especially
detailed program guides, compiled by frequent-flier guru Randy Petersen,
who famously has collected millions of mileage points but still flies
coach.
   Of course, the airlines' own sites, such as United.com and Delta.com, are
also useful for checking frequent-flier balances, and in some cases
redeeming awards -- even letting you check specific flights to see if
seats are available. However, finding seats can often get complicated, and
that's when savvy travelers turn to advice sites like WebFlyer.
   One of the most popular features on WebFlyer, which gets 19,000 unique
visitors daily, is Ask Randy. Petersen says he keeps getting the same
questions from readers, so rather than try to answer thousands of e-mail
messages, he posts answers online.
   The site also posts special deals (click Bonus Promotions) such as the
recent offer by 1-800-FLOWERS that awarded a mile for every penny spent.
Frequent-flier junkies know a mile is worth about 1.5 cents, so when word
got out, lots of mobile professionals' sweethearts found themselves
receiving beautiful bouquets. (The offer is no longer in effect.) If you
want to see how many miles you should be earning for a trip, click on
WebFlyer's Mileage Calculator and enter your origin and destination.
   Another nifty tool on WebFlyer's site is called Head2Head, where you can
pick two airline programs -- for example United's and Continental's -- and
see how they compare. Most of these evaluations are written by
knowledgeable members of these programs. I learned that if you typically
book award travel that doesn't involve a Saturday night stay, United would
be a better choice, because Continental requires more miles for these
trips. On the other hand, if you use miles primarily for upgrading, for
example from coach to business class, Continental is a good choice. When
choosing a loyalty program, as Petersen notes, travelers often do best by
selecting carriers that dominate nearby airports. That's the main reason I
chose United, because it has so many daily flights from San Francisco
International and Oakland.
   Perhaps the most valuable component of WebFlyer, as the Pudding Guy's
story illustrates, is its generous community of knowledgeable travelers
who post at FlyerTalk. More than 30,000 people visit this forum daily,
discussing everything from how to switch programs while maintaining status
to where to eat in airports.
   One frequent traveler who said she relies on FlyerTalk is writer Sheri
Bjornson of Alamo. "I've learned about myriad promotions that got me more
miles, how to best use my upgrades, and how to get top status for the
lowest cost." She's even used the site to discern when it's worth making
"a mileage run," a trip typically taken toward the end of the year to gain
mileage points for elite status.
   Tom Griffin, a police and fire communications supervisor from Benicia,
said he learned through FlyerTalk that frequent travelers can sometimes
get instant elite status in an airline program by showing they ring up
lots of miles with another airline. The new airline may start you off with
elite status as an incentive for you to stick with them. Griffin said he'd
never heard of "status comping" until a couple of years ago when he joined
FlyerTalk.
   "I wrote AA (American Airlines) two years ago when it looked like the UA
(United) mechanics were going out on strike, and I was seriously concerned
a six-week vacation could turn into a six-week disaster," he wrote in a
FlyerTalk post. "Although I was top tier on UA, from what I saw posted on
FlyerTalk, AA would comp me (to mid-level elite status). I've been very
happy with them as my top-tier carrier, and flew 148,000 miles on them
last year."
   Frequentflier.com, another popular site, is the brainchild of Tim Winshi=
p,
who writes a free weekly newsletter called the Frequent Flier Crier,
distributed to 166,000 subscribers. The site started out in 1997 as a tool
to give consumers to mileage program information, he said, but today it
focuses on advocacy.
   "What the Web has done for loyalty programs is bring them one step closer
to true transparency," Winship said. "Consumers can quickly compare
program features and benefits. And perhaps more importantly, they can
interact with other members of the programs to determine which airlines
are actually delivering on their promises."
   Winship, who's also a columnist for Smarter Living
(www.smarterliving.com), often addresses topical issues, such as what
airline bankruptcy (United is just one carrier in bankruptcy) means for
mileage programs. Another popular topic is whether to save or spend miles.
Like many others, Winship advises readers to use their miles when they
can, as long as they don't spend them recklessly: "While there's no
imminent danger of the programs disappearing outright, it's worth
considering the undeniable dilution in their value."
   Phillips agrees. Unlike some mileage junkies, the Pudding Guy travels
often with his family (typically in coach) and recently treated his father
to a trip to Sydney with stops in Cairns, Brisbane and Auckland. How did
he know how that he could include three stopovers on one award? He heard
about it at FlyerTalk.

   TravelTech runs the first Sunday of each month. Michael Shapiro is the
author of "Internet Travel Planner" and creator of www.nettravel.com.
Contact him at michaelshapiro@xxxxxxxxxx=20
Copyright 2004 SF Chronicle