Re: ATC Wannabies?

On 15 Jan 2004 at 9:19, Allan9 wrote:

> The airport was built to accomodate both aircraft and passenger movements.
> Maximum use of runways.  Most airports all the people think about is the
> terminal building(s).  DFW is another example.  The old time airports
> ORD/PIT/CLE/DTW etc all grew up piecemeal.  They were and still are playing
> catch up.

I would agree with you on ORD and CLE, but PIT and the new terminal
at DTW were most assuredly results of today's hub environment.  I can
tell you that the O&D at PIT in no way justifies that large a
terminal.  And DTW was designed as a one-airline hub.

When you think about it....what airports have really been built (or
greatly expanded/rebuilt) since the hub/spoke concept was developed?
You'll find they have either been designed as hubs (PIT/DTW/CVG/CLT)
or as end points of spokes (MCO/TPA).  DFW just took its existing
design and copied it for crappy hub connections.  Just ask any AA or
DL flier who had to get from one end of a horseshoe to another.