Re: 6.5 Earthquake - California

Well, at the time of the quake I was sitting in seat 36C of a 747-400
(N178UA), UA1130, waiting to push back from Gate 86 at SFO.   We were
already about 15 minutes late for departure, and I had the headphones
on, Channel 9. When the plane started shaking -- I initially thought
"about damn time", assuming it was the tractor connecting for
push-back.   But we didn't go anywhere, and suddenly Ch. 9 (tuned to
ground control)  was all chatter...

Ground: Whoo-- that was a big one!  Wow!
Aircraft:  What the heck was that?
Another aircraft: Did you guys feel that earthquake?
Ground:  We're still shaking up here!
Ground:  Uh, United xxx hold short of taxiway India.   Continental yyy
hold short of taxiway Alpha.  Just hold up here while we see if there's
a problem.

There were a bunch more call-ins, ground control basically told
everyone to stop, they said there would be a short ground stop while
they sent out a mobile crew to inspect the runways and taxiways for
damage, and meanwhile NORCAL (Bay Approach) put some arrivals in a
holding pattern.  There were no landings for a while so I assume anyone
on final was told to go around.

The ground stop was only about 10 minutes and everything returned to
normal, so far as I could tell, with departures on 1L/R and landings on
28L/R.    We taxied to 1R, and unfortunately held short on a taxiway
for a further 15 minutes while we waited for "some final numbers on
weight and load" (???).   The flight then proceeded normally, except
that we were almost an hour late, causing me to have to run through DEN
for my SkyWest connection to Lincoln.   (Which I made, and
miraculously, my luggage made it too).

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx