Re: Personal GPS on a commercial flight...will it work?

From: "Bill Heron" <wheron@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 5:27 PM

I've been having a great time with the GPS device which attaches to my Palm
pilot, very helpful when driving in unfamilar areas.  My question is: would
it work in flight (in other words, would it be likely it could pick up
satellite signals from inside the passenger cabin) and is it a "permitted"
device?  Wouldn't it be great to know exactly what town you are passing over
on a long flight?

I answer:

I've used GPS in flight for many years.  I used to ask the captain if it was
ok, and got a positive response most of the time, although I had a few
rejections.  Lately I've given up asking, and when an FA asks "is that a
GPS" I say yes but it's off until the electronic stuff (computers etc) are
allowed.

You will need a window seat, and if the GPS is not the most sensitive you
will probably need the antenna to be up to the window.  Initialization is
often difficult, so I try to get a fix at the airport before boarding the
plane to let the gadget know roughly where we are.

The one I have now records time and date with the waypoint, so if I am
taking a picture I usually mark a waypoint so I will be able to get an idea
of what I am photographing.

Some pictures are at

http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial1.html