Stupidity in airline pricing.. ?

Over the weekend my travel plans changed and decided to fly to Richmond, VA
to visit my brother.
I didn't want to pay too much for the ticket and decided to call the
corporate travel agency.
The least expensive option was $1400 r/t. Online it was around $1800 through
various travel
websites and airline pages.

I couldn't use Hotwire or Priceline because :
a. I was leaving from YUL. With these guys you can only leave from US
cities.
b. I needed to be in YUL monday morning..

I ended up buying the "Last minute deal" through DL's website. It is a
contracted out service
provided by site59.com and it combines hotel + flight.. The entire trip was
$380 r/t.

Eventually my YUL-LGA flight has 9 people in it. LGA-RIC had 11. Both on 40
seater ComAir CRJs.

I would think that instead of asking for a higher price like $1800, an
airline would be interested
in getting whatever it takes less than 24 hrs before the flight. Of course,
always someone with
deep pockets may show up, but wouldn't you rather get $250 from a pax,
instead of not getting
one at all?

BAHA
Fan of warm offices and hotel rooms..