From: Eric Grundmann [mailto:ericgr@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:26 PM
To: The Airline List; Fletcher, Robert
Subject: Re: DFW TOWERS- how many? 3 TOWERS.

Bob,
        Well, you got some interesting responses to your question,  here is
another one.
The actual operation at DFW is actually quite simple.   The East Tower is
located on the east side of the airport and controls traffic on runways
17R/35L, 17C/35C, 17L/35R, and 13L/31R.    The West Tower is located on the
west side of the airport and controls traffic on runways 18R/36L, 18L,36R,
and 13R/31L.     The Center Tower is used only for the Flight Data position.
Both the outboard towers have Local Control and Ground Control for their
side of the airport.   The center tower just issues the ATIS and any weather
or Traffic Management reroutes.
        There really is no coordination between the outboards because of the
way the automation is set up and how  they determine departure and arrival
runways for individual aircraft.  Say an a/c parked on the west side needs
to go to Cleveland.  They call the west side Ground controller who clears
them to taxi up to the bridge that goes over to the east side..  They then
cross the bridge and call the east side Ground controller who fits them in
the departure sequence on that side of the airport.  Same happens for a/c
parked on the east side going west.
        As far as arrivals go, the TRACON attempts to land the aircraft on
the side of the airport that they park on..  If it doesn't work out that
way, then the process is reversed.  As they clear the runway, the a/c gets
clearance to taxi to the bridge and them they call the other sides ground
control and get instructions to their gate area.
        One other thing to think about, there are actually two additional
towers at DFW.  Delta and American both have ramp control towers.   They
'control' the ramp areas for their respective terminals.  Once you clear the
taxiway system, you call the ramp tower and get instructions to the gate.
        The hardest positions at DFW are the ground control positions.
These can get really crazy during busy times, especially because you don't
know who the aircraft are, you just yell for the "MD-80 at spot 42", etc.
They answer you and then you figure out where they are going and how to get
them there..   Local control is pretty easy, relatively speaking.   "Cleared
to land, cleared to takeoff, turn left at the next high speed and contact
ground control", that sort of thing.
        DFW opened in 1967.

Hope that helps you,
Eric Grundmann