Re: The Stuff Beer Cans Are Made Of

Radials per se aren't an issue, though they do have lots of moving parts.  Later,
high power, multi-row setups have manageable cooling and packaging problems.  It is
the end-stage, turbo-compound radials, that give nightmares, whether packaged onto
DC-7, Constellation, Neptune, etc., that creates a full-employment opportunity for
those AMTs experienced in their care and feeding.

In the move away from propellors, even the Electra disappeared quickly, and it was
turbine powered.  Eastern placed full page ads, remarking on the final Electra extra
sections on the Shuttles (replaced by DC-9s).

Passenger preference (voting with their wallets) forced the change, not maintenance
issues.  Very similar to the switch from pistons to turboprops to small jets in the
regional airline business; "propellor avoidance".

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

- Bob Mann

P.S.  Reverting to the "beer can" thread, though I doubt there's much aluminum in
the design, there is a debate going on between some in Congress who don't like the
idea and staff at the National Air and Space Museum who are adamant on maintaining
the "Bud Light" livery on the late Leo Loudenslager's Stephens/Akro Laser 200
acrobatic aircraft, now on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center museum space.   See:
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/loudenslager_laser.htm

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >>  Airline Industry Analysis
Port Washington, NY  11050  >>  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

This e-mail is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it
in error, please notify the above sender immediately then delete
the original e-mail.  Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.