Low-fare versions of the big guys

I was just thinking of the all this buzz about Song, Ted, and the such.
So, someone try to explain this to me...
=20
United's Ted - why would a bankrupt company start a "spin-off" that's
not going to make any money for a little while and have to be supported
by it's parent. United can't support itself, why does it think it can
support Ted??
=20
United's not making any money, and Ted's not going to make any money (at
least not at first). How can this work??
=20
Are Ted planes going to be maintained by United's mechanics? Do they get
paid the same as if they are working on United planes? What about the
pilots and FAs? If so, HOW can this work???
=20
Maybe I'm just thinking too simplistic.
=20
Also, I heard something on NPR the other day about AA considering
jumping into this game. Does anyone have any info on that?
=20
Clay - SEA