Re: Is Mexicana leaving STAR?

In a message dated 11/8/03 7:27:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mmontano@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Code share and the existing of an 'alliance' are for the most part
> unrelated.
>
> Code-share involves one airline, in this case United, buying seats from
> Mexicana and reselling them with a United flight number.
>
> The current arrangement of alliances are more complex arrangements, but
> involve things like:
>
> - common use of ground-staff at small destinations
> - schedule synchronization for connecting flights, especially through
> hubs
> - frequent flier plan 'inter-connections'
> - treating alliance partner segments "favourably" for airfare
> calculations.
>
> Many American airlines are ending the practice of reselling seats on
> foreign airlines for the reason of US consumer protection laws. United,
> as a US corporation, becomes the 'vendor of record' when it comes to
> the a United flight number on a Mexicana plane and therefore becomes
> liable for any damages, and responsible for Mexicana's compliance with
> all forms of US safety, tax, labour laws in the execution of the
> flight.
>
> I'm not certain of the precise numbers, but Delta Airlines suffered
> more financial impact from the Swiss Air 111 crash than Swiss Air due
> to law-suits launched against them re: the 53 seats sold by Delta on
> the ill-fated flight.
>
> Previously, having a United flight # on another carrier's flight is no
> longer carrying the illusion which existed. Or at least they will
> realize it when they are told to check in at the Air Canada desk and
> the plane is white and the service is questionable vs. a grey plane and
> slightly upgraded service.

Last I checked, code-share arrangements are the rule, rather than the
exception when a new carrier enters an alliance and they exist as those carriers
belong to that alliance.  I.E. CO dropping the HP deal because they knew their
future with the NW-DL deal.  Additionally, if the thing about international
carriers is true, why would UA sell seats on LH flights, SQ flights, or Thai
flights?  What if someone who bought a seat on Thai from UA caught SARS?  That would
probably not be a good thing for UA, yet they still sell tickets on that
airline.