Re: Differences in parking CRJs

Baha....

Comair standard is to leave the flaps in the probable takeoff
configuration for the next leg, usually Flaps 20.  This is because of a
flap twist problem the aircraft was experiencing which caused the flap
system to detect asymmetrical movement.  In this situation the system
stops the flaps in their current position to limit the asymmetry.  On
departure, this would mean an air return and on landing it means a
go-around and a call to dispatch followed by an abnormal arrival at a
higher Vref and a landing distance penalty.

Bombardier's solution to this was a physical inspection during the
preflight.  Part of this is confirming the flaps have not twisted using
your hand and registration marks on the flaps and wings.  To do this
check the flaps are left down (except for the last flight of the day I
think).  As an aside, I know of at least one case where a pilot got
careless while doing this check and a deployed spoiler close on his
finger, taking part of the tip off.  3000lbs PSI has got to hurt.

I believe there were also some changes made to the flap system as well.

Calls for flap failures have gone down significantly.

ACA may have developed an alternative way of confirming the flaps are
not twisted or they could have implemented a modification to the
system.  I'm sure whatever they are doing has gone through channels at
Bombardier and FAA.

I may be a bit cloudy on a few of the details here because this
procedure came out a couple of years ago and I really haven't had a
reason to be involved with it since my initial reading.  After all, this
falls under what we in dispatch call "Pilot S**t"<G>.

Cheers-

Tom

Not a fan of missing out on a Concorde ride.