Re: AMR's Obscene Profits

My explanation in addition to Kurtz';

You can only count a dollar of revenue once, and a dollar of costs once.

Revenue is a fairly accepted definition, of all the cash that came in
the door during the period (minus any negative revenue such as refunds.)

Some folks use terms like deferred revenue, meaning income you are
guaranteed to get, but didn't see in your bank-account.

Other complications in airlines and magazine subscriptions is when is
the revenue 'bookable.' Some magazine publishers don't book the actual
revenue until the mail the magazine. Some airlines might (I doubt it
though) book revenue only when they provide the service, but since most
tickets are more rule laden than a gift certificate, they are likely
booked as revenue right up front.

Net Income, is the 'profit' (if positive) they have chosen to declare
for accounting purposes. It's after all the bills are paid, including
taxes.

This is where it gets real messy.  But in a capital intensive business,
you have plenty of flexibility as to WHEN you want to count those
dollars. In order to make future numbers look better, business' will
take certain costs when it's convenient. Airlines and high-tech are
notorious in this game. In laying off thousands of employees or
disposing of planes, a company will book every dollar they expect to
spend over the next few years to do so up front. i.e. Companies will
offer health benefits for 2 years, but will take the cost 'up-front'.

On the revenue side, certain companies (GE and Microsoft are good
examples), massage their revenue and cost numbers to show an almost
artificial growth in sales and margin.

All in all, it's all a game to manipulate perceptions.

After taking in $4,600M in revenue, and only coming up with $1M in
income, it's a game to show 'profitability.'

The SEC was created to demand disclosure in public corporation
reporting. It's created a monster all it's own.

A more holistic approach seems to win the day, as numbers too often
lie. Who's got their 'stuff-together'?, who's got happy employees?
Whoever it is, I'll take my consumption and investment business there.

Matthew

  Since most of the revenue