Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport

It'll be Hartsfield-Jackson airport=20
=20
By D.L. BENNETT <mailto:dbennett@xxxxxxx%20>=20
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution=20
=20
The airport's new name -- Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport --
will be flying by year's end.
Mayor Shirley Franklin said she would move quickly to rename Hartsfield
International Airport after Monday's 12-2 vote by the City Council to
add former Mayor Maynard Jackson's name.
Jackson, Atlanta's first African-American mayor, died June 23. He and
William B. Hartsfield, the city's longest-serving mayor, were credited
with the growth and expansion of what is now one of the world's busiest
airports.
Voting against the name change were Clair Muller, who represents
northwest Atlanta's District 8, and Anne Fauver, who represents east
Atlanta's District 6. Neither Muller or Fauver gave reasons for voting
against the measure. Council- man Lamar Willis was out of the country.
The council also voted to honor former Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., but has not
decided how to do so. Allen, who was credited with bringing major sports
to the city, died July 2. He also led Atlanta through the civil rights
era and helped the city avoid many of the racial battles that rocked
other Southern cities.
A commission formed by the mayor had recommended that the city honor
Allen with a statue at Turner Field, but the council decided to form a
committee to give it further consideration.
"I am pleased the council has taken action in a timely manner to honor
both Maynard Jackson and Ivan Allen Jr.," Franklin said. "Both
exemplified the best of Atlanta, civic leadership and service."
Franklin said she was unsure of all the steps the administration would
need to take to make the change but added she had already directed
airport General Manager Ben DeCosta to get moving.
'Going to be all right'
Jackson's widow, Valerie, sat in the audience as the council voted to
add her husband's name to the city's signature landmark. Afterward, she
was all smiles.
"I believe this is going to be all right," said Jackson, who originally
wanted only her husband's name above the airport. "This is a fitting and
honorable tribute, not only to Maynard, but to Mayor Hartsfield as
well," Jackson said. "Today, more than ever, I am proud to be an
Atlantan."
Dale Hartsfield, a distant relative to the mayor whose name previously
flew alone, said he was disappointed but the vote came as he expected.
"I am relieved," Hartsfield said. "It's not what we preferred. If this
does bring the city of Atlanta together, then I'm in support."
Hartsfield, an automotive advertising sales representative for The
Atlanta Journal-Constitution, talked to a few people, shook some hands
and quietly walked alone out of City Hall.
An issue that dominated the summer, creating racial tension and
considerable ill will, made it through the council with only a hint of
rancor.
About 150 people attended Monday's council session and two dozen spoke,
most calling for the hyphenated name.
State Rep. Mable Thomas, a former council member, struck a conciliatory
tone after forcefully telling Atlanta's black elected officials months
ago they should stand up and rename the airport for Jackson.
"This is what the strength of the black community will allow right now,"
Thomas said. "That's not a bad thing."
The mayor took much of the rancor out of the debate a month ago when she
announced her support for the hyphenated name. Her pronouncement helped
line up council support and made Monday's vote a formality.
Many of the same speakers also addressed a committee of the City Council
earlier in the day at an hourlong public hearing.
Ira Joe Johnson, an author and activist, said the council made the right
decision, one that will help race relations and properly honor both
former mayors.
"For years, Hartsfield-Jackson will symbolically hover over Atlanta like
a protective shield and a glorious crown which says to us and the world,
in the hometown of Martin Luther King Jr. and Margaret Mitchell, we are
one," said Johnson.
Later Monday, the Atlanta Black-Jewish Coalition planned an evening to
honor Jackson in the old City Council chambers, with community leaders,
friends and others sharing memories of the former mayor.
Stuart Eizenstat, a friend of Jackson's and a former chief domestic
policy adviser at the White House, said he flew in from Washington to
participate in the remembrance and "happened to land just about the
exact hour the City Council voted."
"I think I'm the first visitor from Washington to land at the
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport," Eizenstat said to
wild applause.
-- Staff writers Ernie Suggs and Saeed Ahmed contributed to this
article.
=20