Re: CAL MD-11 crash video

from http://www.abrapiv.com.br/colab/lsrp/china_md11/
August 23, 1999

HONG KONG -- Investigators in Hong Kong focused Monday on wind shear as a
possible reason why a China Airlines jet flipped over and crashed into
flames while landing in Hong Kong, killing two people.

Sixty people remained hospitalized late Monday following the Sunday crash of
a plane from Taiwan's national airline. In addition to a Portuguese woman
and a Taiwanese man who were killed, 212 were injured in an accident
described by passengers as a horrific scene of fuel, fire and chaos.

Aviation officials said windshear -- a radical change in wind direction or
speed -- should be investigated as a possible cause of the crash. Some
questioned the pilot's decision to land in the midst of Typhoon Sam, which
shut down ferries, most buses and some roads in Hong Kong.

The plane's Italian captain and its other flight crew have undergone
preliminary interviews.

Officials denied that the location of Hong Kong's airport helped cause the
accident.

Aviation experts have voiced concerns that the multi- billion-dollar Chek
Lap Kok airport's location near 1,000-meter (3,300-foot) peaks on adjacent
Lantau island could be prone to wind shear when air rushes over the peaks.

Strong cross-winds were buffeting the landing path, but they were blowing in
from the northwest across the Pearl River Estuary -- not over the spine of
Lantau island, C.Y. Lan, acting director of the Hong Kong Observatory told a
news conference.

Weather had been a concern even before the flight left Bangkok, but the
winds appeared to have calmed around Hong Kong, so the pilot decided to
land, Taiwanese officials said.

Survivors describe crash

The Hong Kong government said 60 people were still hospitalized on Monday.
Two were in critical condition and six in serious condition. The others were
in stable or satisfactory condition.

Survivors said stunned passengers, some burned, screamed as they freed
themselves from their seats and made their way out onto a runway drenched
with jet fuel. They had to jump out of the doors because the emergency
evacuation slides were useless with the jet upside down, its landing gear
pointing to the sky.

"I was confused when the plane landed upside down. I didn't know which part
was the front or the back of the plane," said Ricardo Andrade, a 20-year-old
university student from Santarem, Portugal.

"People were burning -- their legs, arms, face," said Isabel Coelho, 58, a
nurse from Lisbon, wearing a T-shirt bearing the Hong Kong airport's logo
and wrapped in a hotel bathrobe

The Lusa Portuguese national news agency in Macau said 23 Portuguese were
among the injured. There were 315 people on board the plane.

© CNN Interactive - The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this
report.

----

SOME MORE INFORMATION:

ACCIDENT DIGEST 99-25:

Please note this information is preliminary; new information will be added
on the Aviation Safety Network at http://aviation-safety.net. The 1999
yearlist of accidents always contains the most recent information on each
accident.