Re: Light aircraft use commercial airspace

We're just as lucky in Canada  I can fly in class B, C, D and E
airspace, VFR, although for all Classes B and C I need an altiture
reporting transponder, and for most class D and some class E as well.
Some exceptions to the transponder rule are possible. For example two
years ago my transponder's altitude reporting encoder failed.  I had to
fly to YQB to an avionics shop to have it fixed as it was a wiring
problem and not the encoder itself.  I called YQB tower ahead and was
given permission to arrive with no mode C on the transponder.

We really are lucky in N. America, most flights don't even require a
flight plan.  Technically in Canada flights over 25 n.m. require either
a flight plan or flight itinerary (filed with a "competent" person which
can be your wife or a friend).

I've flown into major int'l airports though now flying into YVR or YYZ
is very difficult VFR (there is a reservations system in place).  But
there are so many satellite airports in Vancouver or Toronto that as a
practical matter, this really isn't an issue.

Mike Gammon