Re: Light aircraft use commercial airspace

Bahadir Acuner <bahadiracuner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>More info is needed to digest this press release. But from the
>perspective of a pilot/flight instructor, I don't see anything
>wrong with it. I am sure the person who wrote the article doesn't
>know anything about the airspaces and entry requirements.
>
>This is the first time I hear that a commercial aircraft and
>general aviation aircraft DOESN'T use the same airspace. Weird..

Baha,
   You don't realize how lucky you are. In the Netherlands (and I
think it is the same in most of Europe) controlled airspace is much
more extensive and usually classified one step higher than in the
U.S.A.

   IFR traffic into Schiphol Airport is certainly not expected
to mix it with VFR flights. The Schiphol TMA (Class A) has a
floor of 1500 ft for 20 or 30 miles from the airport. compare that
with the Seattle or Los Angeles TMAs.

   The TMAs of the regional airports (Rotterdam, Groningen,
Maatricht) are officially Class E (i.e. VFR permitted). But if too
many people would actually take advantage of this, it would be used
as an excuse to increae the classification. Catch 22.

                           Kees de Lezenne Coulander

--
C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.