Re: destination versus routing pricing

From: <damiross2@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 3:23 PM

<snip>
> I looked at several different city pairs.  I found that it was possible to
have
> a connecting flight that is cheaper than a non-stop.

Correct.  I wanted to see if it was still possible to fly from Columbus OH
to Detroit and back in a BAE146 or relative thereof.  When I asked a routing
service to show me flights leaving CMH on Saturday and returning from DTW on
Sunday, the cheapest fares were for routings I couldn't believe.    They
were for three or four legs taking more than six hours and touching airports
thousands of miles away.  These fares were less than half the non-stop 55
minute trips.  (I didn't find any of the mini-jumbos still flying).

> Why?  My feeling is that the airline wants to get that last seat filled
(these were all
> discounted fares) and if they have to fly a passenger out of his way to do
it, they will.
> Actually, this is a win-win situation.  The passenger gets a cheaper
flight and
> the airline gets addtional revenue.

I don't think that explains it.  It's just nuts.

Actually it may be rotten computer programming.  I have a map program that
tries to find routes from place to place.  When I ask it to find the way
from my apartment to an intersection down a diagonal street that's right
outside my door, it tells me to take the other two sides of the right
triangle.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley