Shuttle America in trouble?

From: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/6792643.htm

Posted on Wed, Sep. 17, 2003

City airline fails to win concession

Shuttle America could be grounded

By Urvaksh Karkaria
The Journal Gazette

A Fort Wayne-based airline with more than 150 local employees could soon be
grounded after its pilots overwhelmingly rejected a concession package, the
airline's chief executive said in a memo to employees Tuesday.

Shuttle America, a US Airways regional carrier, relocated its headquarters
from Windsor Locks, Conn. to Fort Wayne International Airport last fall.

The airline operates five daily round-trip flights between Fort Wayne and
Pittsburgh, with reduced service on weekends. Shuttle America is the only
airline offering air service from Fort Wayne to Pittsburgh.

Shuttle America was lured to Fort Wayne with about $750,000 in incentives
from the Fort Wayne-Allen County Airport Authority and state and local
governments.

In the absence of new developments that would permit the company to operate,
Shuttle America plans to halt operations between Oct. 27 and Dec. 31,
President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Durgin said in the memo, a copy
of which was e-mailed to The Journal Gazette.

Durgin could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Shuttle America, which began operations in 1998, filed for Chapter 11
protection in April 2001 and emerged about eight months later.

Under the reorganization plan, the airline was sold for $1.4 million to
Shuttle Acquisition Corp., a unit of Greenwich, Conn.-based Wexford Capital
LLC.

"While we had reached agreements with Saab, US Airways, Wexford and several
other creditors on a reduction of our obligations and a restructuring of our
debts," the letter said, "those agreements were ... conditioned upon a
positive vote on the pilot wage concessions.

"I am sorry to report that this means the restructuring plan we have been
focused on for the last four months has failed," the memo continued.

The airline operates a fleet of 17 Saab 340 aircraft out of US Airways'
Pittsburgh hub and employs more than 350 aviation professionals.

"I certainly hate to admit defeat," Durgin said, "but our creditors ...
certainly needed to know that the other stakeholders involved in the
restructuring were doing their 'fair share' to participate in the carrier's
recovery."

For the short term, the airline is expected to operate at least through
October, the memo said.

Larry Thompson with the Greater Fort Wayne Chamber of Commerce Air Service
Development said it is too early to say what effect a potential shutdown
might have for local passengers.

"US Airways has other regional airlines which would likely be called upon to
fly Shuttle America routes if that becomes necessary," Thompson said.

While acknowledging the situation is critical, Rob Young, president of the
Fort Wayne-Allen County Economic Development Alliance, said he is not ready
to close the book on the company.

"I don't believe this is the last chapter of the story for Shuttle America
in Fort Wayne," he said. "We have until the end of the month to see how
things unfold here."

Young also said the airline's restructuring is an internal issue between the
company, its lenders and others, which means the city could not get
involved.

Nearly $500,000 of the estimated $750,000 in investments was in upgrades to
Shuttle America's building and infrastructure on the west side of the
airport, the Alliance's Young said.

Those are reusable resources, and the investment has made the area more
marketable, he said.

The dire situation notwithstanding, Shuttle America's Durgin said in the
memo he is "actively involved in two different marketing campaigns to
preserve this airline's future."

"This is a long-shot," he continued, "but I am not someone who gives up
easily."

© 2003 Journal Gazette and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.fortwayne.com

http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es