Re: INFO: ITALYNEWS

This 767 is leased from CIT Aerospace, in this case a US leasing
company. Registering it in Ireland (through a purpose-built subsidiary)
is a way to pay lower import taxes into the EU. Any EU carrier (eg
Alitalia) may operate a EU-registered aircraft with no restriction.

Alternative would have been to register the aircraft in the US but then
the FAA would have had mandate to inspect Alitalia processes at any time
(said differently, aircraft and operator and subcontractors must then
follow FAR and JAR rules simultaneously).

Not to mention the very very remote possibility of FAA grounding all
US-registered specific aircraft type (remember the DC-10 grounding - at
that time UTA had to store its N- aircraft but could continue to operate
with its F-registered DC-10's).

There is also the cost of having a new type certified in a particular
country (not the case here as Alitalia already operates with I-
registered 767-300ER's).

As for AF, the first 747-100s were initially US-registered (while leased
from Wilmington Trust) until the lease-purchase was completed 12 years later.

Last, but obviously not relevant for countries like Italy, the registry
used is of prime importance when a leasing company needs to repossess
its assets from some far away places. Always get a legal clearance from
the country of registry before sending the cowboys...

Cordialement,

Alexandre.
AeroTransport Data Bank
http://www.aerotransport.org