NYTimes.com Article: A `Yeah, Right' for Million-Mile Fliers

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

A `Yeah, Right' for Million-Mile Fliers

September 2, 2003
 By JOE SHARKEY

THIS column generates a fair amount of reader response,
including on those occasions when it might be argued that
its proprietor is full of baloney.

Take this e-mail message from Michael Ellenby, which began:
"Million miles? Not bloody likely!"

Mr. Ellenby and others wrote to challenge an assertion in
last week's column that a few business travelers claim to
fly more than a million miles a year. The purported
million-milers turned up in a survey by Consulting
Magazine, a publication for the management-consulting
industry. Consultants, the magazine's editors say, are
among the most hard-core business travelers.

The survey elicited responses in a range of categories like
preferences in hotel amenities and in car-rental companies.
But it also asked about annual miles flown, and this is
where the commotion began. A third of the consultants said
they flew from 51,000 to 100,000 miles a year. Another
third said they flew from 101,000 to 500,000 miles a year.
About 3 percent said they flew more than 500,000 miles. All
plausible, so far. But then the survey claimed that four
consultants reported flying more than a million miles a
year.

Some readers did the math and said it did not add up.

"Assuming planes fly at 400 miles an hour, this means
flying 2,500 hours for the year," or 50 hours a week,
considering two weeks' vacation, Mr. Ellenby wrote. "I am
from Australia and we have a couple of colorful phrases in
reaction to claims like that."

Most commercial planes fly faster than 400 miles an hour.
But the numbers still do not hold up, according to Anker
Heegaard of the Compass Group, a Washington consulting
company. "I have to point out that one million miles in a
year, at an average speed of 500 miles an hour, would equal
2,000 hours of flying time and another 500 or so hours in
getting to and from the airport," he wrote, adding: "The
standard 40-hour workweek is 2,080 hours per year."

Francis Hawkings wrote: "I am not one of your four
million-mile consultants, though I was in the 100-500K
group for many years. But do you believe the four?" And R.
J. Pazarra said, "I think you can rule out the guys who
claim one million miles a year. My guess is those four guys
looked at their mileage statements and saw a million miles
total increase, which, of course, includes a large amount
of bonus miles at the gold and platinum levels." I agree
it's a stretch. When I was researching the column on the
survey, I double-checked with Jack Sweeney, the editor in
chief of Consulting Magazine, to ask whether the question
about annual miles flown was clearly about actual miles in
the sky, rather than total accumulated annual
frequent-flier miles (which usually include bonuses and
miles points from credit card purchases and the like). He
checked and replied that it was.

But Mr. Sweeney got just a little wobbly on the point a few
days ago when I phoned back and told him some
frequent-flying readers were hooting at the million-mile
claims.

"We went back and looked at that question, and we're not
certain; we're going to look into it more," Mr. Sweeney
said. Though he said he still thinks the million-milers
exist, he acknowledged that there might have been some
confusion on the survey between miles flown and total-mile
points accumulated. The four consultants who claimed to be
million-milers all opted to have their identities kept
confidential, but Mr. Sweeney said the magazine would
follow up. "In our next issue we will ask our readers to
help identify who among them belong to the million-mile
club," he said.

Meanwhile, I called a few seasoned business travelers to
ask what they thought about the million-mile assertion.

"I don't buy it," said David J. Satler, a vice president of
Prudential Securities, who is a member of Continental
Airlines' highest elite status level for frequent fliers.
Mr. Satler said he usually flies about 200,000 miles a
year, mostly in short domestic flight segments from New
York to places like Richmond, Va.

"I sometimes go down to Richmond two to four times a week,"
he said. Mr. Satler said he never heard of anyone flying a
million miles a year. Even a weekly round-trip between New
York and Hong Kong would only add up to about 832,000
annual miles, assuming anyone had the reason or stamina to
do it, he reasoned.

On the other hand, Zachary Coffin said he thinks it is
possible. Mr. Coffin is an investment consultant who flew
about 300,000 miles a year when he worked for KPMG, until
he opened his own company, Coffin Capital, six months ago
in Los Angeles.

He said he thinks that a handful of million-milers probably
exist - nearly always aloft, like some corporate reflection
of the Strategic Air Command's never-grounded B-52 fleet
during the cold war.

"I wouldn't be surprised. Sure, it sounds striking, and
obviously there aren't that many. But there really are
those kinds of people" capable of flying a million miles a
year, he said.

"People who are really the top road warriors start living
on the road - I mean really living on the road," he said.
"For most business travelers, the mind-set is, I'm based in
one place and I'll schedule around that. But for these
people, in this kind of travel, it's different. The frame
of reference is the schedule. Their location becomes
flexible."

He added: "I know people, real V.I.P.'s, who in a month
could be in 20 countries. Now, I've done 10 countries in 20
days - but I haven't done 20 countries in 30 days. That's
what separates the 300,000-mile flier from the million-mile
one."

Well, as I said last week, I'd sure like to hear from one
of those mileage millionaires.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/02/business/02ROAD.html?ex=1063510288&ei=1&en=d3ed2226ec4c1174

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company