Re: St Louis Blues

In a message dated 8/25/03 8:28:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
damiross2@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Wouldn't the DEN airport authorities have to break a contract in order to
> lease the gates to Frontier?

Well, considering the UA bankruptcy, it will be interesting to see what
happens.  I know UA needs some cash, so they might sell off some leases at decent
prices, especially considering that they are not at full strengh at DEN.  Does
anyone know if there are gate use minimums at DEN?

> I don't think America West should go looking for a new hub right now unless
> they can get an extremely good deal sat STL.  They've just started making
> money again.  They need to build up a good reserve of cash and pay down
> their debts before they do any type of expansion.

You have a very good point there.  I think STL is a bit desperate, but are in
a decent position as a good hub that also has good O&D.  WN could also expand
out of there, as they have the cash and planes to do it.  There are a few
markets they could bite AA in, considering that people in LA love WN and would
fly them there in a heart beat if the price is right.  Again, if STL freaks, HP
could always swoop in.  It is not like F9 is making huge profits (though they
are doing well), or have small debts (they owe Airbus and lessors some
change).  Then again, STL is a major market and could be attractive to jetBlue.
Also, we cannot forget AirTran.  They have money, don't pay as much money for
their planes (717s are cheaper than A320 family and 737 family craft) and have
quite a few planes comming in to spread around