Re: Branson is coming

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alireza Alivandivafa" <DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 23:12
Subject: Re: [AIRLINE] Branson is coming

> In a message dated 8/20/03 6:02:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> dplaflamme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out which government would tell us what David and I
> > can do as Americans if Branson launches Virgin American (or American
> > Virgin?). I'm also trying to figure out why US government oversight and
> > interference in American Virgin would be any less than it is with AA,
UAL,
> > Delta, or any other airline operating in the US. Heck, why would
American
> > Virgin be any different than Virgin Atlantic?
>
> Considering all the attacking he has done of his own government, I don't
> think they will be telling the man how to do a damn thing
>

> > But, heck, I'm the kind of guy who's so slow, I didn't even know that
Zeuch
> > was enough of an aerospace engineer to make off the cuff judgements
about
> > how well an A320 would survive that hailstorm that easyJet flew into!
> >
> > Seriously: it's a very big world out there. We gain more by opening our
> > borders than we do by closing them. Even with airlines and aircraft. If
> > someone else wants to sell me goods made with cheaper labor or subsidies
> > from foreign tax payers, who am I to turn down their largesse? Says me,
> > anyway.
> >

> It is interesting that when it comes to things like healthcare and people
> being able to eat, some people say the government should not be involved,
free
> markets should reign, and those who disagree are all treasonous, French
commies.
>  When it comes to those that drive the market, corporations, they want
them
> only owned by who they choose and not to allow the free market to take
hold.

No inconsistency.  As a native born American citizen, I have the right to
criticize my government when I feel they are doing wrong.  Even I know there
is a need for government. But the government should be one of limited
powers, not one that does things that corporations and people should be
doing for themselves.

It's also a matter of being fair.  Relatively few countries allow foreign
ownership of corporations in their own nations yet the USA government allows
it.

And, as mentioned by someone previously, the airlines are a special case.
In case of an emergency, the government can take demand aircraft from the
irlines for transport needs.  It's doubtful that government would have the
balls to do this to a foreign owned airline.

David R
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/books.html