Re: Killing Time in Frankfurt

In a message dated 8/22/03 10:13:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
oh2fly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >Hi Listers
> >My wife and I have a six hour (1000-1600 approx) in Frankfurt.  Any
> >hints as to what is available to help pass the time beyond shops,
> >bars and restaurants at the airport.  Are there any sightseeing
> >opportunities or anything else of interest?
> >TIA

Jawohl.............!!!

a) See Hector Cabezas at SU ticket counter (Aeroflot desk) TERM B? : He has
the world's greatest collection of pilots wings, housed in an airport museum
that should be available on request (may not otherwish be open). It is housed in
the basement of one of the airport terminls. The collection site was jointly
hosted by Hector and the FRA airport authority. Well worth a visit of you can
roust Hector from his Aeroflot cargo duties.

b) For good local eats: Schwarzwald Stube in the lower level of TERM B (old
airport terminal) and also the "Berliner Kneipe". Try their chow and the good
local apple wine. The locals and the airport staff have always frequented it.
Many a brain cell has disappeared for good, in these locals!

c) Dr. Mueller's Sex shop is always tittilating (If it's going to be cold
where you're going, "knitted **** warmers" may be the thing for you!!, etc.)!
They should be in several locations in various terminals.

d) The grocery store in the basement of TERM B is always fun. Get a good
brown bag meal to take along with you.

d) Always fun to take the S-Bahn (subway) from the base of TERB B (or other
origin, now?) to the FRA Hauptbahnhof (main train station) - maybe 15 minutes
away. Check out the city center, since you have six hours.

e) Eat some of the great local sausages with the excellent mustard -
available everywhere. The best "Wurstwaren" (sausages) available in Germany are made
in this Federal "Bundesland" in which the airport is located - Hessen

f) If you go into the City center (The "Roemer"), the old Fachwerk (ancient,
traditional) style of building, go to "Wein am Roemer" on the back side of the
row opposite the "Dom", or cathedral. Great local wine tastings are available
there. See the proprietress, Gina Seitz. Please tell her that "Mikie-Mensch"
from San Francisco says hello!

I always had a good time at the airport when I was based there.

"Viel Spass"!

Mike/SFO