Re: An ERJ here, an EMB there....

I think I should have that six-pack ... and then some. Especially after an
evening that didn't quite pan out as expected...

But if you're somewhat mystified with the EMB-145MP designation, you'll
truly be baffled with the fact that there are TWO standing EMB-145MP
designations. One is the airframe that we discussed (EMB-145ER with the
capability of being transformed into an EMB-145LR). The other is the
maritime patrol version of the stock EMB-145 airframe - hence the "MP" (you
can owe that one to the folks over at Marketing).

As for the EMB-140LR/ERJ-140LR/RJ-140LR = EMB-140KL, that was straight "copy
and paste" off the .pdf file that contains the EMB-145's TCDS...

But you do have a point ... Embraer's marketing department is peerless when
it comes to getting a simple and straight forward designation system,
twisting and turning it in to the point that it is no longer recognizable.
There was a time when I knew what sort of a project was being discussed just
by looking at the first digit (e.g. "1" transport aircraft, "3" trainer
aircraft, "4" gliders, etc.) of the designation. Nowadays, I have to see a
3-view...

Thank God we haven't covered all the changes that the company's name has
undergone since 1997 (Embraer > EMBRAER > Embraer > EMBRAER). Yet, to be
fair, they do manage to cook-up some really neat gifts (wristwatches, lapel
pins, tie clasps, very interesting keychains, pens, polo shirts... the list
is almost endless).

Cheers
Jackson