From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
David MR
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 11:06 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Piedmont/US Air, Request

Not a dumb question.

There's two codes used for airlines from 3 different organizations -
ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) uses 3 letter codes.
The IATA (International Air Transport Association) and ATA (American
Transportation
Association) both use 2 character codes.

The 3 letter codes are used on flight plans and other Air Traffic
Control functions.  The 2 character codes are used in airline
reservation systems, timetables, etc.  Originally it was 2 letters
allowing for up to 676 combinations.  Some combinations, I think, aren't
used.  Once they ran out of 2 letter codes, they went to 1 letter/1
number and 1 number/1 letter codes, allowing for even more combinations.

An interesting sideline.  It is possible for 2 airlines to have the same
2 letter code, provided the airlines have no possibility of flying in
each other's territories.  For example, Uncle Joe's Airline and Garage
Door Company may fly flights with a Cessna 172 in only the state of
Arizona while David's Big Bad Airline flies larger aircraft but flies
only in Australia. The two airlines do not have areas where both
companies fly so they could be assigned the same 2 letter code.

The plan, at least at one time, was for all airlines to have 3 letter
codes but that seems to be more of a pipe dream.  No one wants to change
all the computer programs to accommodate 3 letters. David R
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/books.html