Turkish Army picks Kaman

MOSCOW, 12 Aug (Reuters) - Russian aircraft maker Kamov said on Tuesday it
was on track to supply 145 of its Ka-50-2 combat helicopters to Turkey over
six years.
"We have practically initialled the contract with Turkey and we will
finalise it by the end of 2003," Sergei Mikheev, the company's chief
designer, told reporters.

He did not say how much the contract was worth. Military analysts put the
price of one Ka-50-2 at between $12 million and $15 million.

Turkey, a NATO member, chose Kamov over its U.S. competitor, the Bell
Helicopter division of Textron Inc (NYSE:TXT - News).

"It did not suit Turkey that the Americans insisted on supplying fully
completed helicopters without any Turkish role in building them," Mikheev
said. "Under our deal Turkish companies will be involved in work on the
cockpit."

Israel, which cooperates with Kamov on avionics, will also take part in the
Russian-Turkish consortium.

BAHA
Fan of Turkish army having at least one chopper from  all the helicopter
manufacturers in the world, except Lynx may be.. NOT