Re: SF Gate: No-frills, low-cost airlines are fast gaining ground/'Regular' a...

I second the notion.

I prefer UA 'cause they always get me home. And no, I never get
upgraded.

If you are travelling any sort of distance, i.e bi-coastal, UA gives
you multiple options. Handy in case of weather/security breaches
affecting parts of of the world.

i.e.

ATL/NYC/WAS -> YVR, through ORD, DEN, YYZ, ORD/SEA, DEN/SEA, SFO, YUL

NW provides a reasonable compliment with MSP/DTW
AA's DFW doesn't compliment ORD all that well.
HP's PHX doesn't have a compliment
DL is not well represented on the west coast, esp. out of SLC
US is definitely not well represented on the west coast
CO's IAH is too far south
AC's YYZ doesn't have a compliment out west

Of course, (one of) UA's current problem is that 'biz fares = leisure
fares, yet they still put out biz features.

But we digress...