NYTimes.com Article: Air France Co-Pilot Is Accused of Making Remark About Bomb

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Air France Co-Pilot Is Accused of Making Remark About Bomb

August 10, 2003
 By ROBERT D. McFADDEN

The co-pilot of Air France's late flight to Paris was
arrested at Kennedy International Airport on Friday after
making a remark about having a bomb in his shoe at a
security checkpoint, officials said. No bomb was found, but
he was charged with two felonies, the flight was canceled
and 353 passengers were grounded overnight.

It may have been a joke or an exasperated response to
elaborate security requirements, investigators and
witnesses said, but the comment that the pilot, Philippe H.
Riviere, 51, is accused of making raised a red flag for the
screeners, who are under orders to tolerate no threatening
remarks, even those made in jest.

Mr. Riviere was taken into custody by the Port Authority
police, searched and charged with falsely reporting a
threat in the first and second degrees, which carry prison
terms of seven and four years, respectively, said Patrick
Clark, a spokesman for the Queens District Attorney,
Richard A. Brown. Mr. Riviere was to be arraigned last
night in Criminal Court, in Queens.

"It's not very often that you find a co-pilot making such
inappropriate comments," said Lauren Stover, a spokeswoman
for the Transportation Security Administration, the agency
in charge of screening at the nation's major airports. "We
have zero tolerance for those kinds of comments."

Shoes have been among the items most screened since the
case of Richard C. Reid, the British citizen who was
sentenced last January to life in prison for trying to
ignite bombs hidden in the soles of his high-top sneakers
on a flight from Paris to Miami on Dec. 22, 2001.

Mr. Riviere, the co-pilot of Air France Flight 009,
scheduled to depart for Paris at 11 p.m. Friday, arrived
about 9:30 p.m. at the security checkpoint. There were
differing accounts of what happened there.

"He balked at removing his shoes" for inspection, one
investigator said, "and is alleged to have said, `I have a
bomb in my shoe.' " Almost simultaneously, the investigator
said, the metal detector sounded an alarm.

A passenger who witnessed the incident told NY1 News,
however, that the pilot appeared to be making a joke.
"Apparently one of the co-pilots got testy at the security
and didn't like getting searched so much, and said, `Well,
what do you think, I have a bomb on me?' "

In any case, the screeners summoned airport police, and Mr.
Riviere was searched, said Tony Ciavolella, speaking for
the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which
operates the airport.

In the meantime, Flight 009 was canceled, and the plane, a
Boeing 747, was searched. No bomb was found.

Jim Faulkner, a spokesman for Air France, said he had no
information on Mr. Riviere's record. He said the airline
had not put up the passengers overnight. Many stayed at the
airport and flew out about 10:30 a.m. yesterday. "We are
extremely sorry for the inconvenience to our passengers,"
he said. "The most important thing for us was getting them
safely to their destination."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/10/nyregion/10PILO.html?ex=1061528592&ei=1&en=278dfc43308ee90f

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company