NYTimes.com Article: Northwest Chief Says Airline Will Not File for Bankruptcy

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Northwest Chief Says Airline Will Not File for Bankruptcy

August 7, 2003
 By MICHELINE MAYNARD

ROMULUS, Mich., Aug. 6 - Northwest Airlines, which warned
unions in the spring that it would have to seek Chapter 11
bankruptcy protection if workers did not grant nearly $1
billion in wage and benefit concessions, said today that a
bankruptcy filing would not be necessary.

That does not mean the airline has given up on obtaining
cutbacks. Indeed, company executives reiterated their need
to reduce wages and benefits to levels achieved at other
large carriers like United Airlines, American Airlines and
US Airways.

United and US Airways obtained concessions from their
employees after filing for bankruptcy protection last year,
while American's unions granted wage and benefit cuts in
the face of the airline's threat to do so. US Airways has
since emerged from bankruptcy, and United is preparing a
revamping plan.

However, Richard H. Anderson, the chief executive of
Northwest, said in an interview today that the airline was
not headed toward a bankruptcy filing. "We're going to
continue to manage the airline," he said, "and get it
restructured appropriately without a Chapter 11."

Mr. Anderson's comments came as Northwest unveiled the
first of a new fleet of Airbus A330 jets at Detroit
Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, one of its major hubs.
The planes, which will eventually replace the
McDonnell-Douglas DC-10 and join the Boeing 747 on
international flights, are up to 40 percent more efficient
than those planes and can carry more passengers, executives
said.

Mr. Anderson rankled Northwest's unions in April, when he
said the airline would be forced to join United, a unit of
the UAL Corporation, and US Airways in seeking bankruptcy
protection unless workers granted $950 million in wage and
benefit cuts by July 1.

At the time, analysts questioned Mr. Anderson's contention,
citing Northwest's relatively healthy cash position, which
it has maintained despite steep declines in traffic to
Asia, where it has a significant presence along with
United.

Unions refused to grant the cuts, and the deadline passed
without any comment from the airline about a bankruptcy
filing. Indeed, Mr. Anderson acknowledged today that the
airline had been able to maintain its liquidity in the face
of many challenges, from the Sept. 11 attacks to the
outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS.
Since 2000, Northwest has cut its annual costs by $1.4
billion and reduced its operations by 15 percent.

"In the last two and a half years, we've been the most
aggressive in the industry in terms of getting out in front
of the problems that we faced," Mr. Anderson said. "It's
necessitated some very hard decisions."

Northwest lost $160 million in the second quarter, before
one-time government reimbursements for security fees.
Nonetheless, it ended the second quarter with $2.9 billion
in cash, which translated to 30 percent of the last 12
months of revenue, said the airline's president, Douglas M.
Steenland. Even with labor concessions, Mr. Steenland
estimated that United's cash was equal to 12 percent of its
revenue, while American's cash translated to 11 percent of
revenue. Mr. Steenland said the airline was continuing to
discuss the proposed cuts with union officials but declined
to say when he thought the discussions might yield results.
Both he and Mr. Anderson were pessimistic about the
immediate future for the major airlines, which have been
buffeted by the weak economy and challenged by competition
from low-fare carriers. "We don't see any end in sight,"
Mr. Steenland said. "We don't see any light at the end of
the tunnel yet."

Mr. Anderson, in the interview, said traffic to Asia in
August would continue to be down in the double-digit range
because of the after-effects of the SARS outbreak. "I hope
we don't have a wave of locusts," he said he recently told
employees. "We've had war, and we've had plague, I guess,"
he added, referring to SARS, "and terrorism, and we seem to
have sort of one event after another."

In fact, the airline had two more issues to contend with
today. Mr. Anderson said the airline would be hurt by the
government's decision to suspend two programs that allowed
passengers to connect through American airports on the way
to other countries without visas. He said that would
primarily affect Northwest's flights from Minneapolis and
Detroit to destinations in Canada. The cost of lost
business from visa-less passengers who are forced to cancel
flights would be in the millions of dollars, he said,
declining to be more specific.

Also today, the International Association of Machinists and
Aerospace Workers filed suit over Northwest's refusal to
buy back 4.8 million shares of preferred stock that were
issued to workers a decade ago in return for contract
concessions. The airline was supposed to repurchase the
shares, worth $225 million, by Aug. 1, and said in June
that it would pay for them in cash.

But last week, Northwest said it was not permitted to buy
the shares under the law in Delaware, where it is
incorporated, and would instead pay dividends on the stock.
In the suit, filed in New York State Supreme Court, the
union, which represents customer service and reservations
agents at the airline, sought immediate repayment of at
least $100 million.

"Our members fulfilled all their obligations under the
agreement," said Robert Roach, the union's general vice
president for transportation. "Northwest Airlines must live
up to its commitments and provide what rightfully belongs
to our members. This is a bill that is due, and a bill that
must be paid." Northwest said it would not comment on the
suit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/07/business/07AIR.html?ex=1061266802&ei=1&en=74dbd74076a08a76

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company