Re: SP vs. 400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alireza Alivandivafa" <DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: SP vs. 400

> In a message dated 8/4/2003 6:37:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> jmgammon@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << The 747SP was really a shortened, longer-range version of the 100.  The
>  later -200 versions essentially killed off the SP, which then became
>  uneconomic.  It was a specialized product for very long range services
and
>  only a handful were made.  But at the time, it was a brilliant aircraft.
>   >>

> The SP came out after the 200.  It was still needed for many services
until
> the 744 came out

On

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family/pf/pf_classic_back.html

Boeing says:

"Boeing also built the 747-100SP (special performance), which had a
shortened fuselage and was designed to fly higher, faster and farther
non-stop than any 747 model of its time.."

But the Boeing pages also show that the SP was designed and put in service
much later than the -200.  So the assumption is that if the -200 somehow
acquired a longer range than the SP, it must have done so after the SP was
flying?

As we have heard, the actual range of aircraft is greatly dependent upon
weather and decisions about payload.  The Beech 1900D only had a range of a
few yards when it was loaded the way it was a month or so ago.  747 tankers
could probably fly quite a distance if they didn't have to share the fuel.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://members.fortunecity.com/gfoley/egypt/egypt.html