Re: TWA Flight Center

At 11:30 PM 7/30/2003 +0000, Bill Hough found a news article:
>After the TWA Terminal, Saarinen designed Dulles International Airport in
>Chantilly, Va., creating innovations still in use today, such as "moving
>lounges" that bring passengers from the terminal directly to the plane to
>minimize walking.
>
>Saarinen, who also designed the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, said he
>considered Dulles "the best thing I have ever done," according to
>historical accounts.

Dulles has changed a lot, even in the six years I've lived in the DC
suburbs, but I wonder if Saarinen would be as proud of Dulles today. They
still use some "moving lounges" today, but most of the traffic comes
through two (or four, depending on how you count!) mid-field terminals. The
land-side gates in the base of Saarinen's terminal at Dulles are mostly
gone. The ticketing lobby of the terminal is still a spectacular sight, but
I don't think I've ever been in it when there wasn't some kind of
renovation construction going on!

I suppose the changes at Dulles might actually reassure NYers anxious about
renovating the TWA Terminal: you can update a spectacular building without
killing it. Lord knows, air travel today isn't at all what was expected
forty-five years ago.

Nick