From: Automatic digest processor [mailto:LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 28 July 2003 16:00
To: Recipients of AIRLINE digests
Subject: AIRLINE Digest - 27 Jul 2003 (#2003-14)

There is one message totalling 32 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Seat Release

Date:    Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:47:02 -0400
From:    Douglas Schnell <dks28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Seat Release

Question for the yield management gurus.... (since I can think of nobody
else who would push these policies).

Every flight I've been on in the past year or so seems to have most of the
seats "locked" by the airline until about two hours before departure.  That
is, airline seat selection programs (including the airline's own
self-checkin kiosks) show all but a few seats as occupied or otherwise
unavailable.  When you ask an agent, the answer is always "oh, those seats
haven't been released."

Real world example: checked into SNA today for a PHX flight.  In PHX, I
connected to BOS.  When I bought the ticket last week (at americawest.com)
and when I used the self-service kiosk this morning, only middle seats were
available.  The woman next to me was also traveling to BOS from SNA and the
agent told her "they haven't released the seats on the Boston flight yet.
Check with an agent Phoenix to see if something else is available."  All
well and good, but by the time I got to PHX, the BOS flight was a few
minutes from boarding.  The flight had already checked in full, so I was in
the middle for the 5 hours to Boston.

Any particular reason or strategy behind locking the seats?  I'm at a loss
to find a justification.

End of AIRLINE Digest - 27 Jul 2003 (#2003-14)

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com