Re: Clipper Class, My Ass!

In a message dated 7/19/03 10:09:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
damiross2@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Considering the short fields and short flights, I think the 727 were more
> efficient on the IGS (Internal German Services) than 737's for Pan Am.

AS has 732s that jump up and over the mountain, from the ultra-short, Dutch
Harbor all the time, and they have to make it all the way to ANC.  In fact,
they replaced the far less efficient 727s AS did have.  PA was flying to HAM,
FRA, MUC, Koln and other cities with plenty of runway.  Even Tempelhof has a
plenty long enough runway for 737s.
I know everyone loves the 727, but I have only ever found it an uncomfortable
airplane, that uses more gas than a heavy 767, let alone a similar sized 737