Re: Airbus question

At 02:39 AM 17/07/03 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 7/16/2003 11:28:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>gfoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< It has to be used if the engines are mounted aft on the fuselage.  I
>suspect
>  that the control moments would be too much affected by engine thrust if the
>  horizontal stabilizer were close to the engine exhaust gas stream.
>   >>

>That is not true.  The Caravelle had a more conventional tail

Incorrect, I'm afraid. The Caravelle had its horizontal stabilisers mounted
half way up the tail in what I believe is called a cruciform design.  A
very unusual design. I think one of the Gulfstream jets had a similar
arrangement but I could be wrong on that.

As an aside, de Havilland gave an immense amount of  design data and
assistance to Sud Aviation when they were building the Caravelle, so much
so that the nose cone is virtually identical to that of the Comet 1 and the
flight deck is very similar.

Grant
SYD
QF