Re: Fear of flying (was Re: WN seating question)

From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 9:19 PM

> I have a close friend who somewhat suddenly, in his mid-30s (he's early
> 40s or so now), developed an intractable fear of flying.

<snip>
I started flying in DC2's in when I was 22 years old.   When I was about 45
I started to have a modest anxiety about flying, and my MD prescribed a
tranquillizer.  One pill before flying seemed to fix me up.  In a few years
I stopped the pills, lost the anxiety, and was ok.

My anxiety happened, by the way, to coincide with the  Lockheed Electra
wings falling off.  I don't think there was any real connection, but it made
it even harder for me to get on an Electra than on a Viscount.

Another strange effect of old age is that I seem to have lost jet lag.
Fourteen hours Atlanta-Johannesburg and return (with 10 days or so in
between) had no after effect that I noticed!

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://members.fortunecity.com/gfoley/egypt/egypt.html